2022-2023 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
English as a Second Language, Graduate Certificate
Candidates can receive K-12 endorsement from the Michigan Department of Education and an ESOL Certificate from GVSU by completing the 24-hour ESL Endorsement/ESOL Certificate Courses, pass the Michigan Subject Area Test, and maintain a 3.0 GPA.
Candidates are required to take the following:
ESL Endorsement/ESOL Certificate Courses (24 credits) (no sequential requirements)
- EDF 633 - Race, Class, and Language (3 credits)
- EDR 620 - ESL Methodologies, Materials Development, and Technology (3 credits)
- EDR 634 - English Learner Language Development (3 credits)
- EDR 635 - Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students (3 credits)
- EDR 636 - Bilingualism and Biliteracy Development (3 credits)
- EDR 637 - Assessment of English Learners (3 credits)
- EDS 637 - Explicit Language Instruction (3 credits)
Capstone (Prerequisites: EDF 633, EDR 620, EDR 634, EDR 635, EDR 636, EDR 637, and EDS 637)
EDR 685 B - ESL Practicum (3 credits) (Capstone course needs a minimum of B to pass)
- All courses need a minimum of C to be granted ESOL Certificate.
- For ESL endorsement, all candidates need to pass MTTC 86 Content Area test, in addition to meeting the previously listed grade requirements of B for EDR 685 and C for all the other courses.