2022-2023 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Elementary Teacher Certification (General Education)
Michigan elementary standard teaching certification allows the holder to teach any subject in kindergarten through fifth grade; major subjects in sixth through eighth; all subjects in kindergarten through eighth in self-contained classrooms. In addition to degree requirements, candidates must complete the teaching major, minor, and education major program.
Teaching Major - Elementary Certification
The Michigan State Board of Education sets elementary education standards that ensure teachers are prepared with depth and breadth of content knowledge. Students pursuing an elementary standard teaching certificate may select from the following four state approved major programs:
- Integrated science
- Group social studies
- Language arts
In addition to selecting one of the listed teachable majors, education candidates must complete requirements for the elementary teaching minor and the education major program for elementary certification.
Students should meet with their advisor before selecting courses for the elementary minor.
Candidates must complete the following 31-credit program. At least one field semester must be completed in a multicultural setting.
- MTH 126 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers (2 credits) AND MTH 226 - Mathematics for PK-6: Whole Numbers and Operations (3 credits) OR ONLY MTH 223 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers III (5 credits)
Elementary candidates must take each of the following courses, except the course listed in their chosen content major area.
- SCI 225 - Integrated Life Science for PK-3 Teachers (4 credits)
- SCI 226 - Integrated Physical Science for PK-3 Teachers (3 credits)
Requirements for the Education Major Program - Elementary Certification
Candidates must complete the following 39-credit education major. At least one field semester must be completed in a multicultural setting.
The following must be taken prior to admission to undergraduate teacher education:
- EDF 315 - Diverse Perspectives on Education (3 credits)
- PSY 301 - Child Development (3 credits)
- EDI 338 - Teachers as Decision Makers: Instruction and Assessment in Elementary Schools (3 credits)
Taken before OR after admission to the College of Education and Community Innovation. It must be completed before student teaching.
Taken after admission to the College of Education and Community Innovation. It must be completed before student teaching.
Teacher Assisting Semester
- EDI 310 - Building and Sustaining Positive Learning Environments (3 credits)
- EDR 320 - Language and Literacy: Development, Assessment, and Instruction (3 credits)
- EDI 330 - Elementary Apprenticeship PK-6 (6 credits)
Student Teaching Semester
- EDI 430 - Student Teaching, Elementary (10 credits)
- EDF 485 - The Context of Educational Issues (3 credits) May be taken after EDI 430 but before certification.