“Staying in Place” order will be in effect for GVSU students living in Allendale Township from September 17 through October 1. Read more
2020-2021 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Business Administration in Human Resource Management
This major emphasizes the management of the relationship between an organization and its employees. Business firms need human resource specialists who are capable of helping position the organization strategically through the design and administration of policies dealing with diversity and equal opportunity, recruiting and selection, training, performance appraisal, compensation, benefits, discipline, employee rights, and labor negotiations. Curriculum is focused on organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
Requirements for the B.B.A.
All business core courses acquaint you with various fields in business and help you learn to communicate, to interact, and to assume responsible positions in your chosen field.
For the B.B.A., you must complete the following courses.
- ACC 212 - Principles of Financial Accounting (3 credits)
- ACC 213 - Principles of Managerial Accounting (3 credits)
- BUS 201 - Legal Environment for Business (3 credits)
- BOTH ECO 210 - Introductory Macroeconomics (3 credits) AND ECO 211 - Introductory Microeconomics (3 credits)
OR ONLY ECO 200 - Business Economics (3 credits)
- Upper-division economics course, other than ECO 490 (3 credits)
- FIN 320 - Managerial Finance (3 credits)
- MGT 268 - Business Processes and Management Information Systems (3 credits)
- MGT 331 - Managing People and Organizations (3 credits)
- MGT 366 - Operations Management (3 credits)
- MGT 495 - Administrative Policy (3 credits)
- MKT 350 - Marketing Management (3 credits)
Students are required to select one class from the following list. This course may count toward the major or minor if applicable.
- ACC 333 - Corporate Governance and Accounting Ethics (3 credits)
- ECO 440 - Public Economics and Ethics (3 credits)
- FIN 330 - Ethics in Finance (3 credits)
- MGT 340 - Ethics and Business, Social Justice and Sustainability (3 credits)
- MGT 438 - Business Ethics (3 credits)
- MKT 375 - Marketing Ethics (3 credits)
Required Business Electives
Three upper-division business courses are not applied to the major or minor (nine credits total). However, these courses can be applied toward a second business major if one is declared.
Students may elect nonbusiness or business courses to fulfill their elective course requirements. Students may apply up to six hours of internship and independent research credit, in any combination, toward their degree requirements. Business majors may not take any of the major courses, except the internship and study abroad courses, on a credit/no-credit basis.
Business core and the following:
- STA 215 - Introductory Applied Statistics (3 credits)
- MGT 333 - Human Resource Management (3 credits)
- MGT 334 - Employment and Labor Law (3 credits)
- MGT 336 - Compensation and Benefits Management (3 credits)
- MGT 429 - Staffing and Development (3 credits)
- MGT 431 - Strategic Human Resources Management (3 credits)
Quantitative group - choose one:
- MTH 122 - College Algebra (3 credits)
- MTH 125 - Survey of Calculus (3 credits)
- MTH 201 - Calculus I (4 credits)
- PHI 103 - Logic (3 credits)
- MGT 361 - Management Science (3 credits)
AND one of the following:
- MGT 355 - The Diversified Workforce (3 credits)
- MGT 430 - Organizational Development (3 credits)
- MGT 432 - Grievance Administration, Arbitration, and Collective Bargaining (3 credits)
- MGT 433 - International Human Resource Management (3 credits)