2014-2015 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Science in Geology-Chemistry
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section in this catalog.
Requirements for a Dual Major in Geology-Chemistry
Completion of a major in dual geology-chemistry requires the following:
1. General University Degree Requirements
As identified in the general Academic Regulations section of the Grand Valley State University Graduate and Undergraduate Catalog.
2. Geology Courses
27 semester credit hours of geology courses with a minimum GPA of C (2.0).
- GEO 111 - Exploring the Earth Credits: 4
- GEO 112 - Earth History Credits: 4
- GEO 175 - Research Tools for Geosciences Credits: 1
- GEO 211 - Mineralogy Credits: 4
- GEO 212 - Petrology Credits: 4
- GEO 311 - Structural Geology Credits: 4
- GEO 312 - Sedimentation-Stratigraphy Credits: 4
- GEO 485 - Geology Seminar Credits: 1 (taken two semesters in one academic calendar year)
3. B.S. Degree Cognate Courses
14 semester credit hours of general education B.S. degree cognate courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- CHM 116 - Principles of Chemistry II Credits: 5
- MTH 201 - Calculus I Credits: 4
- GEO 445 - Introduction to Geochemistry Credits: 4
4. Chemistry Courses
Sixteen (16) semester credit hours of chemistry courses with a minimum GPA of C (2.0).
- CHM 115 - Principles of Chemistry I Credits: 4
- CHM 222 - Quantitative Analysis Credits: 3
- CHM 225 - Instrumental Analysis I Credits: 3
- CHM 351 - Introduction to Physical Chemistry Credits: 3
- CHM 352 - Applied Physical Chemistry Credits: 1
- CHM 491 - Chemistry Seminar II Credits: 1
5. Physics Course
Five (5) semester credit hours.
- PHY 230 - Principles of Physics I Credits: 5
6. Capstone Course
Three (3) semester credit hours.