2014-2015 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
- Requirements for a Major in Philosophy
- Major Course Requirements:
- Suggested Order of Coursework for a Major in Philosophy
Requirements for a Major in Philosophy
In an era when many majors are inflated because of the influence of careerism, specialization, and external accrediting agencies, the credit hour requirements for the philosophy major remain modest at only 30. This is because we take seriously the value of electives in the students college program, the value of exploring and discovering ones real interests. The number of required hours in philosophy is also modest because we wish to encourage students to discover the importance of relating philosophy to other fields through double majors, minors, and clusters of elective courses indicating developed proficiencies.
All of the above emphasizes the importance of the advising relationship. In order to facilitate this relationship, the philosophy major requires a study plan through which the students work can be consciously developed and articulated. A first draft of the study plan must be completed with the advisor by the beginning of the junior year, revised each successive semester, and completed in the Capstone course.
Cognate Degree Requirements
The philosophy B.A. requires third-semester proficiency in a foreign language (201). We strongly encourage completing the fourth semester of the language (202) as well.
Major Course Requirements:
Students majoring in philosophy must complete a minimum of 30 hours in the department.
Select FOUR from:
- PHI 311 - Ancient Great Philosophers (3 credits)
- PHI 312 - Medieval Great Philosophers (3 credits)
- PHI 313 - Early Modern Great Philosophers (3 credits)
- PHI 314 - Late Modern Great Philosophers (3 credits)
- PHI 315 - Recent Great Philosophers (3 credits)
Select ONE from:
- PHI 210 - Eastern Philosophy (3 credits)
- PHI 240 - Middle Eastern Philosophy (3 credits)
- PHI 306 - Eastern Great Philosophers (3 credits)
Students may choose electives from any other courses in the philosophy program course listings. Courses numbered PHI 306, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, and 380 may be repeated for credit when their content varies.
Suggested Order of Coursework for a Major in Philosophy
- PHI 103 - Logic (3 credits)
- PHI 101 - Introduction to Philosophy (3 credits), PHI 102 - Ethics (3 credits), or PHI 220 - Aesthetics (3 credits)
- Beginning language (101 and 102) for B.A. cognate
Second through Fourth Years
- Additional required PHI courses
- PHI electives
- Intermediate language (201) for B.A. cognate; fourth semester language (202) is recommended