George and Barbara Gordon Gallery
Mathias J. Alten: An Evolving Legacy
The German-born American artist, Mathias Joseph Alten (1871-1938) is often referred to as the Dean of Michigan Painters. Working in a traditional representational style, Alten incorporated the aesthetics and techniques of the Impressionist Movement in paintings infused with light and punctuated with deft brushwork. Based in Grand Rapids, Alten created more than 3,800 works over a forty-plus-year career including landscapes, seascapes, portraits, florals, and still-lifes. Alten began as a naturalist scene painter, eventually transitioning from Barbizon and Tonalist traditions to an Impressionistic style. His painting
style evolved according to his audience and personal preferences. And while he avoided embracing the “modernist” style of the early Twentieth-Century, he was sympathetic to it.
The George and Barbara Gordon Gallery (1st Floor)
Mathias Alten in Michigan
Mathias Alten in The Netherlands
Mathias Alten in the United States
Grand Valley State University holds the largest public collection of Alten’s work in the world. The George and Barbara Gordon Gallery, in conjunction with GVSU’s Special Collections of Alten Family Archives, serve as vital resources for the study of the Alten’s work.
- NEW! Take a virtual tour of the George and Barbara Gordon Gallery
- NEW! Read Mathias Alten at 150 from GV Magazine
- Access the Mathias J. Alten: Online Digital Library
- Purchase or check-out the 2017 printed publication "Mathias J. Alten: An Evolving Legacy"
- Online collection of Mathias Alten paintings at GVSU
- Mathias J. Alten Timeline (Now on view on the Richard M. Devos Center's 2nd Floor)
- Download the Gordon Gallery Brochure (pdf): page 1 | page 2
- Download the Mathias Alten Poem (pdf): page 1 | page 2
- Visit the Mathias Alten Catalog Raisonné
GEORGE AND BARBARA GORDON ENDOWMENT FOR THE GORDON GALLERY
Provides funds for the upkeep of the Gordon Gallery.
MATHIAS J. ALTEN ENDOWMENT
Preserves, protects and promotes the artwork and reputation of Mathias Alten in the Gordon Gallery.
ANITA M. GILLEO ENDOWMENT FOR THE MATHIAS J. ALTEN CATALOGUE RAISONNE'
To be used for the ongoing maintenance and additions to the Mathias J. Alten Catalogue Raisonné by GVSU.
Richard M. DeVos Center, Building E, Room 103 and 202
401 Fulton Street West, Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus
Gordon Gallery Hours:
Open Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Closed on holiday weekends:
New Years, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day,Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Check the days we are closed in more detail!
Private tours and special open hours may be arranged by contacting the Art Gallery Department.