Writing, B.A., B.S.
The program offers instruction in academic, creative, and professional writing. Students have the option to tailor the major to suit their professional and educational interests.
Choose from the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree after completing 42 major-specific credits. The curriculum allows students to determine their own course of study, balancing creative and professional writing interests. Students also complete an internship to enhance their writing skills.
For students who wish to add to their current major and enhance their writing, the department offers the option to minor in writing.
Why Study Writing at Grand Valley?
- The writing major involves liberal arts training in which students become critical readers, careful thinkers, and skilled writers.
- The department offers one of the few independent undergraduate writing majors in the country.
- Students who want to focus on professional or technical writing can do so in a program that exposes them to the latest technologies for print and web environments.
- The department offers students a variety of extracurricular writing activities including a student-run literary journal, a visiting writing series, a student reading series, an organization for professional writers, a student-produced department newsletter, and opportunities for travel to writing conferences.
- Students may choose to complete a Distinction in Writing, a program that encourages them to pursue excellence beyond the classroom.