Mathematics, B.A., B.S.
Mathematics possesses both intrinsic beauty and powerful applicability. The language and logic of mathematics appear everywhere, and the study of mathematics affords rare opportunities for creativity to all who enjoy intellectual challenges. A major or minor in mathematics will provide students with rich explorations of theory, fascinating applications to a variety of real-world problems, and transferable skills in communication, technology, and creative problem solving.
Student can choose a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), with emphases available in theoretical mathematics, applied mathematics, and elementary and secondary certification.
Minors in mathematics are also available, including minors for elementary and secondary certification. Depending on one's major, it may be possible to add a minor in mathematics with only a few additional courses, speak to your advisor for details.
Why Study Mathematics at Grand Valley?
- Students will develop strong communication, critical thinking, mathematical modeling, and coding skills in courses where they learn by doing, not just by listening. These logical and critical thinking skills developed through a math major or minor are skills that are highly sought after by employers.
- Opportunities to participate in research through funded summer or academic year research programs or coursework and students present research results at seminars and conferences both on campus and at regional and national meetings.
- Special programming for study abroad and internships allow students to earn credit toward major requirements.
- The mathematics department is a recognized national leader in innovative and effective approaches to mathematics instruction. Faculty members are highly trained with Ph.D.s in mathematics or mathematics education and actively focused on continuously improving their teaching.
- National recognition for mathematics teaching emphases by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics/ Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation.