Education, Instruction and Curriculum, M.Ed. - Early Childhood Education emphasis
The Master of Education program in instruction and curriculum with an emphasis in early childhood education allows educators to gain master's-level understanding and content specialization in early childhood education. This prepares educators to be leaders in early childhood pre-K settings, from birth through age eight (3rd grade).
Listen to Podcast
This program prepares teachers serving children age birth through age eight, early interventionists, and supervisors and directors in preschools, child care centers, child development centers, and Head Start programs, as well as researchers and program specialists in the field for general and high-risk students. It is grounded in principles of child development and is designed to further students' understanding of developmentally appropriate and culturally responsive instruction and assessment, as well as enhance students' knowledge of how to work with families and support children with special needs.
Why Study Instruction and Curriculum at Grand Valley?
- The program opens up a number of career opportunities for professional renewal and development of educators and leads to a ZS early childhood teaching endorsement.
- The College of Education and Community Innovation's Office of Certification and Accreditation provides centralized services for advising, field placement, and certification.
- Flexible classes offered evenings, weekends, and during summer make it easier for teachers and administrators to plan their schedules. All classes are offered online.
- Faculty members are leaders in their fields, melding together the philosophy of education and students' needs as practitioners.
- Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.
Grand Valley State University's College of Education and Community Innovation is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (NCA). The faculty are leaders in their fields, melding together the philosophy of education and your needs as a practitioner.
Location & Format
Classes for graduate students are fully online.Format:
All Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs require a minimum of 33 semester hours.
- P-12 teaching
- Special education for early childhood
- School administration
- College level professional and administrative positions
Aside from the M.Ed. degree, other education programs are available. Visit gvsu.edu/education/grad for details.
Deadline for fall semester is July 15; winter, November 15; spring/summer, March 15. Early application is strongly encouraged to secure course enrollment. Those applications received after the deadline will be considered on an individual basis and program availability. Late applicants should contact program director Kathryn Ohle, [email protected]. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if you have previously applied to GVSU.
- The Education programs have rolling admissions deadlines to ensure maximum flexibility for our applicants
- Up to 9 credit hours can be transferred from other institutions (many institutions only allow up to 6 transfer credits)
- Enrollment begins in mid-March for the following academic year to give students additional time to plan
- GVSU allows you up to 8 years to complete your graduate program (more time than most other institutions)
- You must submit an official transcript from your baccalaureate degree-granting institution
Visit the Education page for criteria and procedures.
International students, please note: This program does not offer enough consecutive physical classroom presence for a student to qualify for an F-1 visa.
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)