Art Education, B.A., B.S.
Art education integrates the practices of art making, art criticism, historical analysis, and an understanding of visual culture as foundations for teaching art in schools and the community.
The program leads to teacher certification for visual art in the Michigan public schools at the primary and secondary levels. Fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
Why Study Art Education at Grand Valley?
The program emphasizes the training of committed artists who desire to work in the field of teaching after their graduation. Art education students:
- Introduce the importance of the visual as a tool for participatory learning across the disciplines and in community settings.
- Receive intensive studio training that enriches students' individual roles as artists and prepares them for diverse teaching environments.
- Experience a comprehensive curriculum that includes educational theory, community-based arts education, and the role of technology in the classroom.
- Benefit from a program that provides opportunities for service learning and for professional development.
- Complete the program with K-12 certification to teach visual arts in the State of Michigan.