LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Allied Health Sciences, B.S. - Histotechnology emphasis
Histology is a laboratory science concerned with the demonstration of cellular morphology, chemical composition, and function of normal and abnormal tissue. A histotechnologist cuts, mounts, and stains tissues removed surgically to make the cell details visible for review. With the information learned from the section of tissue biopsy, a pathologist and physician can make appropriate diagnoses and determine the best course of treatment for a patient. Secondary admission.
Students complete at least 96 credits at Grand Valley State University and 24 credits (47 weeks, 40 hours per week) of clinical practicum at William Beaumont Hospitals nationally accredited histotechnology program in Royal Oak, MI. Acceptance into William Beaumont Hospitals program is a competitive process and program officials determine those admitted to the clinical practicum. Graduates receive a Bachelor of Science degree in allied health sciences with an emphasis in histotechnology. Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree requirements and the clinical requirements, students are eligible to take the American Society for Clinical Pathology certification exam for histotechnology.
Why Study Histotechnology at Grand Valley?
- Courses are taught by faculty members who meet the highest levels of professional standards, not graduate assistants.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates employment opportunities are expected to increase 16 percent from 2014-2024; faster than the average for all occupations.
- According to the most recent salary survey conducted by the American Society for Clinical Pathology, in 2017, the average hourly wage for staff level HTs is $26.08, while the average hourly wage for an HTL is $27.10.
- The College of Health Professions maintains a dedicated staff of academic advisors to support the academic needs of students pursuing the histotechnology emphasis
- The William Beaumont Hospital histotechnology program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 5600 N. River Rd, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018.