Music, B.A., B.M., B.M.E.
The Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance is a center for artistic excellence in performance, teaching, and scholarship.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in music promotes the study of music within the context of a liberal education curriculum.
- Bachelor of Music (B.M.) is designed for students with exceptional ability and particular interest in performance.
- Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.) prepares students to teach music and meet certification requirements for Michigans elementary and secondary schools.
- A minor in Music is also available.
Prospective students must audition; information can be found at gvsu.edu/music/. Ensemble participation is open to all university students, though some ensembles require auditions.
Why Study Music at Grand Valley?
- Studying music at GVSU, within the context of a liberal education foundation, prepares our students to answer the call of a rewarding career and life.
- As an undergraduate-only program, our students have greater opportunities to learn and perform.
- Small class sizes allow students to engage directly with our faculty members, who are committed to understanding and encouraging each student's unique talent and needs.
- Our professors are performers, international competition winners, conductors, composers, theorists, scholars, and acclaimed teachers.
- Grand Valley is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
For More InformationDepartment of Music, Theatre, and Dance
1300 Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Allendale
- Format: Face To Face
Music graduates go on to careers as varied as:
- Arts administrators
- Music therapists
“The music education program provides student-centered learning in a close-knit, warm, and supportive environment... Faculty genuinely cares for us as students and people. Even after graduating, I still feel incredibly supported by the music faculty.”
MUSIC EDUCATION ALUMNA
“The bachelor of music program introduced me to challenging and nurturing instructors. It helped me build a strong foundation as a musician, preparing me for work in graduate school and beyond.”
MUSIC PERFORMANCE ALUMNUS