For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
Health Care Information Systems minor
Information systems studies the use of computers in collecting, organizing, storing, retrieving, processing, and analyzing information in response to the ever-changing challenges faced by organizations.
The health care information systems (HIS) minor is a combination of technology and health care that is in high demand in West Michigan and across the country.
Why Study Health Care Information Systems at Grand Valley?
- Flexibility. By choosing electives and minors in related subject areas, students can further tailor their degrees to fit their individual needs and career goals.
- Theoretical foundation and practical experience offer excellent preparation for the job market and valuable industry experience.
- Small class sizes of approximately 30 students.
- Qualified faculty. Most faculty members hold doctoral degrees and have a wide breadth of experience in the industry.
- Competent advisors are available to all students.
- The School of CIS has its own dedicated state-of-the-art computer labs for hands-on experience. A premier data communications lab and computer architecture lab are also available.
- The School of CIS will prepare you to begin successful careers in any of US News & World Report's "10 Best Technology Jobs in 2019."
- Financial Aid
- The Graduate School
- Course Catalog
- Health Professions Programs
- Information Systems Programs
FOR MORE INFORMATIONSchool of Computing and Information Systems
C-2-100 Mackinac Hall
Location & Format
The program is fully online.Format: Online
The medical field continues to be transformed by information technology. The HIS minor prepares future health professionals with a strong foundation in information technology as it relates to health care.
The following courses are required for completion of the minor:
- AHS 100 - Medical Terminology
- AHS 110 - Introduction to Health Care
- CIS 231 - Problem Solving Using Spreadsheets
- CIS 331 - Data Analysis Tools and Techniques OR CIS 335 - Data Mining
- CIS 340 - Health Care Information Systems
- CIS 358 - Information Assurance
- HIM 310 - Functional and Administrative Practices in Health Information Management
Three additional electives complete the minor. Topics covered include computer science, database management, and network management. See gvsu.edu/catalog for details.
“I like the School of CIS at Grand Valley because the classes are small and make for a more personal learning environment.”
INFORMATION SYSTEMS MAJOR