Biomedical Engineering, B.S.E.
Biomedical engineers apply design, analytical, and problem-solving skills to improve health and quality of human life. They integrate the engineering and biomedical sciences to analyze and solve problems in biology and medicine. Thereby, they can design novel medical devices and build new artificial replacement components for the human body.
Students are prepared for engineering careers and leadership roles through B.S.E. and M.S.E programs that integrate academic studies with hands-on learning and paid professional experiences in actual engineering companies. Please visit gvsu.edu/grad/mse for details of the M.S.E. program.
Why Study Biomedical Engineering at Grand Valley?
- Personal attention in small, student-focused classes.
- Extensive hands-on and project-based learning.
- State-of-the-art teaching facilities and laboratory equipment.
- Study/work abroad opportunities.
- Three semesters of paid cooperative-education work experience prior to graduation in recognized domestic and international engineering companies.
- Industry sponsored capstone design projects
- Strong support from our industrial partners who fund many engineering scholarships for graduate and undergraduate students.
- A nearly 100-percent placement rate into work or graduate school for our graduates.
- A combined bachelor's/masters program that allows high-achieving students to complete both the B.S.E. and the M.S.E. in as little as five calendar years.
For More InformationSchool of Engineering
136 Kennedy Hall
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this minor and graduate students with this emphasis study downtown on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus.Format: Face To Face
A degree in biomedical engineering involve coursework in:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Bioelectric potentials
- Biomedical imaging and image processing
- Engineering mechanics of human motion
- Medical device design
- Modeling of physiological systems
The following are just a few options for biomedical engineers:
- Biomedical equipment engineering
- Clinical engineering
- Medical device design
- Medical imaging
- Medical school
“Grand Valley, my department, and my advisor are all active in making sure I have opportunities to get out and present the work I’ve done here and meet people in my field. It helps me get a lot of connections and diverse experiences in Biomedical Engineering.”
MSE BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING, MEDBIOINC