Theatre, B.A., B.S.
Grand Valley State University is an exciting place to study theatre. The program prepares students for careers in the entertainment industry and for careers that require skills in creativity, collaboration, communications, and problem-solving. It provides professional orientation and background within a broad liberal arts framework.
The program is flexible, combining a strong core of theatre requirements, multiple elective offerings and hands-on production experience. Students can earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. A minor is also available.
Why Study Theatre at Grand Valley?
- Students balance coursework with production work in our new state-of-the-art facilities starting their very first semester.
- Faculty with years of professional experience teach all theatre classes, and guest professionals provide an exciting complement to the major.
- Students may take courses outside theatre, pursue a minor, or double major in other disciplines to expand opportunities.
- GVSU balances coursework with production work. Students participate at every level and area in theatre production, so they graduate with good overall training and experience.
- The annual Grand Valley Shakespeare Festival Mainstage production features students as well as guest professional artists including a Guest Equity Actor. Additionally, the festival produces a touring production that performs at area secondary schools and around the world.
For More InformationDepartment of Music, Theatre, and Dance
1300 Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Allendale
- Format: Face To Face
Students engage in a variety of theatre areas, including:
- Costume design and construction
- Stage and theatre management
- Stage design and stagecraft
- History of theatre
- Lighting design
Versatility is the single most important factor in obtaining work. Students have successfully completed programs in graduate schools and professional conservatories, repertory theatre companies, educational theatre, modern dance companies, and arts organizations as:
- Administrators and teachers
- Designers and technicians