Theatre, B.A., B.S.
The theatre program at Grand Valley offers students a flexible, practical education in the theatrical arts. The program prepares students for careers in the entertainment industry and for careers that require skills in creativity, collaboration, communications, and problem-solving. It provides professional orientation and background within a broad liberal arts framework.
The program is flexible, combining a strong core of theatre requirements, multiple elective offerings and hands-on production experience. Students can earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. A minor is also available.
Why Study Theatre at Grand Valley?
- Academics: Students are provided with a solid foundation of theatre training in our classes, which are taught entirely by faculty members with years of professional experience. Students may take courses outside theatre, pursue a minor, or double major in other disciplines to extend opportunities.
- Production: Students participate at every level and area in theatre production, so they graduate with many marketable skills and experiences.
- Facilities: The Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts features the new state-of-the-art Linn Maxwell Keller Black Box Theatre for intimate productions, as well as a traditional proscenium space. Students also have the opportunity to participate in touring productions.
For More InformationDepartment of Music, Theatre, and Dance
1300 Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts
Location & Format
Undergraduate students in this major study at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
Students engage in a variety of theatre areas, including:
- Costume design and construction
- Stage and theatre management
- Stage design and stagecraft
- History of theatre
- Lighting design
Our students have gained entry to graduate schools and professional conservatories, and have gone on to work in repertory theatre companies, modern dance companies, and arts organizations as:
- Administrators and teachers
- Designers and technicians