Biology, B.A., B.S.
Our mission is to provide an inclusive learning environment, engaging in critical inquiry, extending scientific knowledge and practices to foster energized citizens, and mentor creative and competent professionals in the biological and natural resource sciences.
The biology program prepares students for leading positions in a wide range of careers improving human welfare and environmental stewardship. Students may individualize their degree program by specializing in the following emphases:
- Biomolecular processes
- Ecology and evolutionary biology
- General biology (preprofessional)
- Preveterinary medicine
- Teacher certification
A minor in biology is also available.
Why Study Biology at Grand Valley?
- Personal attention by faculty committed to teaching in all of your courses in our student-centered program.
- Extensive hands-on and project-based learning supported by our student-focused, state-of-the-art teaching, laboratory and field facilities.
- Interaction with faculty possessing a wide range of expertise.
- Opportunities for internships, international and domestic field study, and mentor-guided student research.
- Graduates from the biology program have been highly successful in obtaining employment as well as admission to prestigious graduate and professional programs.
- Regular networking opportunities with faculty, peers, alumni, professional organizations, and industry stakeholders.
For More InformationBiology Department
3300a Kindschi Hall of Science
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Allendale
- Format: Face To Face
A degree in biology includes coursework in:
- Animal and plant biology
- Cell and molecular biology
- Lab and field experience
The following are just a few career options for biologists:
- Conservation biologist
- Ecologist or field biologist
- Fisheries or aquatic biologist
- Teacher, university professor
- Zoologist or wildlife biologist
- Laboratory or research technician
- Physician, dentist, PA, genetic counselor
- Environmental/sustainability consultant
A master of science in biology is also available. For details, visit gvsu.edu/grad/biology/.
“The Biology Department has excellent opportunities available outside of the classroom with faculty members in a wide range of specialties, which can provide very valuable knowledge and experience not normally obtained prior to graduate-level studies.”