Hospitality and Tourism Management, B.S.
Hospitality and tourism management (HTM) is a very dynamic sector of the service industry encompassing a wide variety of career opportunities that include lodging, food and beverage, recreation, leisure, club management, resort operations, travel, tourism, and event management.
Students majoring in hospitality and tourism management must complete the following:
- General university degree requirements as listed in the Grand Valley catalog.
- HTM core courses (minimum 36 credits).
- HTM field requirement (7 credits).
- Career emphasis (minimum 15 credits, w/advisor approval).
- Business cognates (12 credits).
Why Study Hospitality and Tourism Management at Grand Valley?
Hospitality and tourism management students can expect:
- A curriculum which reflects contemporary industry concepts and best practice.
- Classes taught by experienced faculty members with academic and industry experience.
- An engaging learning environment where theoretical concepts are applied to the practice of industry.
- Individual faculty members mentoring where your career goals are at the heart of curriculum planning decisions.
- Experiential learning opportunities facilitated through a structured internship program.
- Networking opportunities with faculty, peers, alumni, professional organizations, and industry stakeholders.
For More InformationHospitality and Tourism Management Department
218C DeVos Center, (616) 331-3118
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
Students may work in a variety of positions, including:
- Convention sales/service
- Director of sales
- General manager
- Special events manager
- Travel consultant
- Recreation manager
“With supportive professors and an active community, I was able to network and build relationships with professionals while attending class. The department encouraged us to get involved, which left me confident and prepared for the workforce when I graduated.”
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS, DESTINATION CONSULTANTS L.L.C.