Public Administration, M.P.A.
The mission of the Master in Public Administration (M.P.A.) is to develop both the general knowledge and specific abilities needed for professional careers in public service organizations. The curriculum is designed to prepare students to act ethically and effectively in public management, urban and regional policy and planning, nonprofit management, criminal justice, and healthcare administration.
The M.P.A. program offers the following concentrations:
- Public management
- Criminal justice
- Health administration
- Nonprofit management and leadership
- Urban and regional policy and planning
Deadline for fall semester is June 1; winter is November 1; and spring/summer is April 1. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to Grand Valley State University. Please visit gvsu.edu/gradapply/.
Why Study Public Administration at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley is actively involved with the community in professional service activities and applied research.
- Students receive personal attention by faculty in all courses in our student-oriented, teaching-focused program.
- The program meets the diverse educational needs of part-time and full-time students with a flexible, innovative curriculum design that includes evening and weekend courses, workshops, and Web-enhanced learning.
- Students have opportunities for research.
For More InformationSchool of Public, Nonprofit, and Health Administration
288C DeVos Center
Location & FormatFace to face courses are scheduled during the day and are offered at Grand Valley's Allendale Campus.
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Format: Face To Face
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Economic and community development
- Metropolitan politics and administration
- Nonprofit financial management
- Philanthropy and the nonprofit sector
- Public budgeting
- Public policy analysis
- U.S. health administration
Career opportunities include positions as:
- City managers
- Community developers
- Department heads
- Financial managers
- Foreign service officers
- Program or agency directors
“We're on the cusp of a lot of change in health care and my instructors teach according to that. I really think that’s going to put me ahead of people that attended somewhere else.”