Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
The study of literature and language enriches and broadens students' lives while preparing them for careers that demand a high level of skill in reading, thinking, and writing.
English majors pursue a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and choose an emphasis in literature and language, elementary education, or secondary education. The English department also offers a standard minor, a secondary education teachable minor. The applied linguistics minor offers two tracks, general and English as Second Language (ESL). The ESL track is and elementary and secondary teachable minor that leads to ESL endorsement.
English majors choose from a wealth of courses, tailoring the degree to fit their interests. Examples include:
- World Mythology
- Teaching English as a Second Language
- International Literature for Children
- Literature of American Minorities
- Teaching Literature to Adolescents
- Studies in Poetry
- Language and Power
Because English emphasizes critical thinking, interpretation, research, and writing, it is an excellent foundation for professional careers and graduate programs, including:
- Film and Television
- Criminal Justice
Why Study English at Grand Valley?
- The English curriculum is flexible, allowing students to individualize their degree by choosing from a wide range of appealing electives.
- The English curriculum is diverse, introducing students to a multitude of cultures, languages, and perspectives.
- The English curriculum is current, equipping students to succeed in a global economy by strengthening communication, reading, and writing skills.
- An English degree is versatile, qualifying students for many careers and graduate programs.
- The English Department offers a wealth of enrichment opportunities, including multiple departmental scholarships and contests, faculty-led studies abroad, acclaimed visiting scholars, and an annual celebration of its majors.
For More Information
Department of English
“I have been very impressed with Grand Valley's English department during my years of study here. There is an excellent selection of challenging and stimulating courses to choose from, but even more than that, the professors are simply outstanding.”