Science Advisory Board
SAB members (from left) Dr. Don Scavia, Dr. Carol Johnston, Dr. Gary Lamberti, and Dr. Harvey Bootsma.
In 2002, the Annis Water Resources Institute formed a Science Advisory Board, composed of internationally renowned scientists, with the following goals in mind:
- Gain a better understanding of AWRI/GVSU culture, role, and its programs
- Provide a report outlining AWRI strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and challenges
- Provide recommendations for the future
Membership of the Annis Water Resources Institute (AWRI) Science Advisory Board includes representatives of the following disciplines: watershed/stream ecology; wetlands ecology; GIS science and application, sediment toxicity; limnology/Great Lakes ecology; fisheries ecology, and other disciplines that may be applicable. The composition of the Board is intended to reflect the spectrum of disciplines represented at AWRI, although members may be drawn from related disciplines. The disciplinary composition of the Board may change over time in accordance with any significant changes in the direction or emphasis of the AWRI research program.
Current SAB Members:
- Dr. Harvey Bootsma, Associate Scientist, Water Institute, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
- Dr. Carol Johnston (Chair), Professor Department of Biology & Microbiology, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD
- Dr. Gary Lamberti, Professor and Chair Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN
- Dr. Don Scavia, Professor and Natural Resources and Environment Director, Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Past SAB Members:
- Dr. Stephen Brandt, Professor and Director, Oregon Sea Grant Program, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- Dr. Peter Meier, Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Dr. Claire Schelske, Professor Emeritus, Land Use and Environmental Change Institute, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL