Meet Our Team
Our team works to create a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment for all individuals who seek services through our office. We understand that your GVSU experience may be impacted, and we’re able to provide assistance through supportive measures, or campus modifications, designed to protect your safety and preserve or restore your ability to participate in GVSU’s programs and activities.
Some individuals prefer a supportive response only, others choose to request a university investigation, and some choose both. We’re here to help inform your decision and which path feels right for you.
We invite you to an informational meeting with a member of our team to discuss your options and how we may be able to assist. Neither reporting to our office nor discussing with a member of our team obligates a course of action. The choice to file a formal complaint with GVSU is yours to make.
KEVIN CARMODY, DIRECTOR & TITLE IX COORDINATOR
Kevin Carmody began serving as the university's Director of the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX Coordinator on January 4, 2022. Kevin is incredibly passionate about working to eliminate gender-based violence and discrimination in the community. Before joining Grand Valley, he served as Civil Rights & Title IX Coordinator, Equity/AA Coordinator at Alma College, and the Title IX Coordinator/Associate Dean of Student Life for Ferris State University. He also has worked at Youngstown State University and Endicott College and was the Mitchell Hall director at Alma College from 2008-2011. Kevin earned bachelor's and master's degrees from Central Michigan University and will defend this summer his doctoral dissertation — a phenomenological study of the experiences of sexual assault survivors who participated in a Title IX investigation — from the same institution.
You can reach Kevin by phone at (616) 331-9530 or by email at [email protected].
MJ CREUTZ, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OFFICE OF CIVIL RIGHTS AND TITLE IX AND DEPUTY TITLE IX COORDINATOR
MJ Creutz began serving as the Assistant Director the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX on May 18, 2022. MJ’s connection to Title IX work began in the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution during her graduate work at Loyola University Chicago from 2016 to 2018. After earning her Masters of Education in Higher Education and Student Affairs at Loyola, she served as a Living Center Director at GVSU from 2018-2022. As an alum of GVSU, she deeply values her relationships with colleagues across campus and appreciates the opportunity to connect her care for students, staff, and faculty to her everyday work in Title IX. In the absence of the Title IX Coordinator, the Deputy Title IX Coordinator(s) will assume all responsibility for compliance relative to Title IX.
You can reach MJ by phone at (616) 331-9530 or by email at [email protected].
STACY PIASECKI, LEAD CIVIL RIGHTS INVESTIGATOR & DEPUTY TITLE IX COORDINATOR
Stacy Piasecki began serving as the Lead Civil Rights Investigator and Deputy Title IX Coordinator on May 16, 2022. Stacy spent the previous two decades in Child Welfare as a Children’s Protective Services Investigator and Supervisor. She brings a wealth of investigative experience with her to Grand Valley. Stacy previously served on the Drug Exposed Infant Committee, was part of the Safe Sleep Coalition, and was the liaison for parents with substance use disorders. She is committed to conducting thorough, fact-finding, unbiased investigations. Stacy played collegiate basketball at Grand Valley State University and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice. In the absence of the Title IX Coordinator, the Deputy Title IX Coordinator(s) will assume all responsibility for compliance relative to Title IX.
You can reach Stacy by phone at (616) 331-9530 or by email at [email protected].
JACQUELINE ADAMS, CONFIDENTIAL COMPLIANCE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
You can reach Jackie by phone at 616-331-9530 or by email at [email protected].
Title IX Advisory Group
Partnership and collaboration across the university is essential for the review and response to reports related to sexual misconduct. The Office of Civil Rights and Title IX has maintained an advisory group which meets weekly to discuss cases and trends. Members of the group include:
- Kevin Carmody, Director & Title IX Coordinator
- MJ Creutz, Assistant Director of the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX and Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Aaron Haight, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students
- Stacy Piasecki, Lead Civil Rights Investigator & Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Brandon DeHaan, Director of Public Safety & Chief of Police
- Pat Smith, General Counsel
- Ann Jbarra, Associate General Counsel
- Deb Sanders, Director of HR Strategic Business Partners
- Kathleen VanderVeen, Associate Vice President & Deputy Chief Inclusion and Equity Officer
- Jesse Bernal, Chief of Staff to the President & Vice President for Inclusion and Equity
Additional team members (as needed):
- Ed Aboufadel, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Rachel Dziabuda, Victim Advocate
- Kristen Evans, Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life
- Emily First, Student Support Manager with the Dean of Students Office
- Jessica Jennrich, Director of the Center for Women and Gender Equity
- Marlene Kowalski-Bruan, Associate Vice President & Deputy Chief Inclusion and Equity Officer
Our Professional Training
Members of the Office for Civil Rights and Title IX Team, as well as members of the pool who assist in carrying out the grievance process, receive regular training based on their respective roles on topics including sexual harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and on how to conduct an investigation and hearing process that protects the safety of impacted parties and promotes accountability.
A list of recent training is included below.
These materials are posted as a limited release pursuant to law for review and inspection purposes only. This information remains copyrighted and proprietary. Sharing this information publicly does not permit fair use, copying, dissemination, or further transmission. Any use of this material for commercial or training purposes without explicit written permission by the author is not authorized and will be pursued as a violation of the author’s copyrights.
- Harassment and Discrimination: How to Conduct Effective Investigations in Higher Education, Tracy Maginn, Barnes & Thornburg LLP (November 18, 2021)
- Title IX Appeals Officials Training (Online), Husch Blackwell, April 2021
- Training on Title IX Regulations, Rebecca Leitman Veidlinger
- Definitions of Prohibited Conduct, Office of Civil Rights and Title IX
- Hearing Panel, Office of Civil Rights and Title IX
- Sanctioning & Hearing Technology, Office of Civil Rights and Title IX
- Leading and Strategizing as a New Title IX Coordinator Bootcamp, Academic Impressions (January 26, 2022)
- Foundational Federal Legal Requirements, Academic Impressions (February 2, 2022)
- Sexual Harassment Grievance Process – Part I: Intake to the Formal Complaint and the Informal Resolution Process, Academic Impressions (February 9, 2022)
- Sexual Harassment Grievance Process – Part II: From Investigation to Appeals, Academic Impressions (February 23, 2022)
- Mitigating and Responding to Bias in Your Title IX Process, Academic Impressions (Winter 2022)
- Leading with Integrity and an Equitable Mindset, Academic Impressions (March 16, 2022)
- Appellate Officer Training, NACCOP by D. Stafford & Associates, LLC (January 2023 & August 2023)