PIC Safety Procedures

Safety is one of the most commonly expressed concerns of study abroad students. The information provided below is here to inform preconceived notions and to provide context for some risks that will be assume. For the vast majority of experiences abroad, students will not encounter "dangers" that are any different to those they may experience here in Michigan.

The Padnos International Center makes every effort to ensure that its students are as safe as possible. PIC takes several actions to this end.

  • PIC monitors the safety and security situation at all of our overseas study sites.
  • PIC maintains communication with overseas partner institutions and GVSU faculty leaders while GVSU students are abroad.
  • PIC recommends that students and faculty leaders register with the local US embassies or consulates in the host nation.
  • PIC maintains contingency and crisis response plans.
  • PIC requires that students participate in pre-departure and on-site orientations, during which they are provided with safety and security information.
  • PIC informs students and their faculty leader of emergency procedures.
  • PIC reviews heath and medical precautions with students and faculty leaders.
  • PIC requires health insurance coverage and emergency medical evacuation coverage for all GVSU study abroad participants.
  • PIC keeps in touch with the GVSU campus Crisis Team. Should any type of emergency occur - natural disaster, accident, illness, and political activity - the campus can provide assistance thorough a variety of channels.

Despite its best efforts, PIC cannot guarantee the safety of students studying abroad, just as GVSU cannot guarantee the safety of students in Michigan. It is critical that you learn about the country you are entering and that you take your "street smarts" with you.

When you arrive at your host institution, you will realize that there is a lot to learn about your new surroundings. During your on-site orientation, you should be provided with information on safety. If not, ask!

For more information, visit The Department of State or The Center for Disease Control websites.