Memory and Concentration
1. Start where you are
- Know your attention span and work within it, increase it over time.
2. Plan to Concentrate
- Schedule study time, Set study goals. Find internal motivation. Vary activities. Take breaks.
3. Know your Energy Cycle
- Study when you have the energy to focus-don’t try to study when you are tired.
4. Find a Good Study Place
- Designate a study place; use a study "charm".
5. Deal with Distractions
- Internal- hunger, thirst, boredom, worries, anxiety
- External- phone, roommates, comfort, TV, computer, noise
6. Deal with recurrent thought distractions- "Thinking Time"
- Jot down worries, distracting thoughts etc. and deal with them at a scheduled time.
7. Use Rewards
- Identify incentives for progress toward your goals, and give yourself a “treat” after you have computed a study goal.
Video from Heritage College