Mission, Vision, and Value Statements
Mission of the University
At Grand Valley State University, we empower learners in their pursuits, professions, and purpose. The university enriches society through excellent teaching, active scholarship, advancement of equity, and public service.
Mission of the Division
GVSU’s Division of Academic Affairs fosters a vibrant intellectual community to create, deliver, and assess academic and co-curricular programs and services that encourage and support students and faculty toward achievement of their educational and professional goals.
Mission of the Student Academic Success Center (SASC)
The Student Academic Success Center fosters student development and academic success by providing support services for students to assist them in achieving their educational goals.
Vision of the University
Grand Valley State University will prepare globally minded citizens for the future they face and the communities they shape. Our community of educators create and employ innovative approaches to liberal education and professional programs that center on and prepare students for a lifetime of continual learning and growth.
Vision of the Division
With each of its disciplinary programs built upon the foundations of a liberal education tradition, Academic Affairs is widely recognized for its ability to develop the essential talent and leadership for the next generation and prepare all students to contribute productively to their professions and societies. The Division demonstrates its success in developing and supporting inclusivity and diversity, productivity, efficiency, and sustainability. Academic Affairs is committed to high impact learning experiences, innovative scholarship, and purposeful academic service to the community. The Division consistently provides a supportive platform for the success of all of its campus constituents.
Vision of the Student Academic Success Center (SASC)
The Student Academic Success Center (SASC) takes a holistic approach to promoting student success for all students attending Grand Valley State University. We focus on overall student success through success coaching, promoting healthy behaviors, building resiliency skills and autonomy, timely student interventions, general policy and procedure administration and empowering learners to take an active role in their own educational journey. The Student Academic Success Center collaborates with a network of campus partners, including Academic Affairs, Enrollment Development, Inclusion and Equity, and Student Affairs Departments, to assist with supporting each student's individual situation and needs.
University Value Statements
At Grand Valley State University, we value:
- Inclusive and Equitable Community
- International Perspective
Student Academic Success Center (SASC) Values
- Student Success
- Professional Development
- Student Learning and Development
- Experiential Learning
- Lifelong Learning
Division Value Statements
- We believe in achieving excellence in teaching and learning throughout the University’s undergraduate and graduate programs.
- We believe the principles and practices of a traditional liberal education provide a sound foundation for all of the institution’s academic programs.
- We believe innovative scholarship and creative expression enrich the world and the lives of its citizens.
- We value internal and external service and collaborative partnerships that benefit the university’s constituents and the broader community.
- We value internal campus collaborations that enrich the intellectual culture of the University.
- We value the use of “high impact educational practices” (AAC&U 2008) that prepare students for the next stages in their lives after graduation.
- We believe shared governance promotes collaborative leadership that fosters and enhances academic excellence.
- We believe that diverse faculty and student bodies, inclusive programming and curricula, and an open and welcoming environment are fundamental components of a high-quality educational experience.
- We value and invest in economic, social, environmental, and cultural sustainability initiatives that have the potential to benefit our institution, our region and state, our nation, and the world.
- We believe in pursuing ever-increasing levels of excellence and efficiency through regular cycles of divisional planning, assessment and evaluation, conscientious application of assessment outcomes, and accountability.