Mission, Vision, and Value Statements
Mission of the University
At Grand Valley State University, we empower learners in their pursuits, professions, and purpose. The university enriches society through excellent teaching, active scholarship, advancement of equity, and public service.
Mission of the Division
GVSU’s Division of Academic and Student Affairs fosters a vibrant intellectual community to create, deliver, and assess academic and co-curricular programs and services that encourage and support students and faculty toward achievement of their educational and professional goals.
Mission of the Student Academic Success Center (SASC)
The Student Academic Success Center fosters student development and academic success by providing support services for students to assist them in achieving their educational goals.
Vision of the University
Grand Valley State University will become one of the nation’s premiere Carnegie classification Master’s Large institutions of higher education grounded in the tradition of liberal education. It will be recognized and acknowledged as a community of diverse, committed scholars engaged in collaborative, lifelong learning to achieve acknowledged academic excellence and positive community impacts. By focusing on the promotion of high quality undergraduate and graduate degree programs, the institution will be the university of choice for students and faculty alike and it will enjoy broad support for its innovative partnerships and initiatives that promote the physical health and the intellectual, social, environmental, economic, and cultural advancement of West Michigan, and ultimately, the advancement of the state, nation, and world.
Vision of the Division
With each of its disciplinary programs built upon the foundations of a liberal education tradition, Academic and Student Affairs (ASA) is widely recognized for its ability to develop the essential talent and leadership for the next generation and prepare all students to contribute productively to their professions and societies. The Division demonstrates its success in developing and supporting inclusivity and diversity, productivity, efficiency, and sustainability. ASA is committed to high impact learning experiences, innovative scholarship, and purposeful academic service to the community. The Division consistently provides a supportive platform for the success of all of its campus constituents.
Vision of the Student Academic Success Center (SASC)
The Student Academic Success Center at Grand Valley State University will become a leader among Carnegie classification Master’s Large institutions of higher education in providing high quality academic support services and programs to positively impact student persistence, completion of educational plans, and timely graduation. This will be achieved by focusing on specific academic needs of select student populations including first-generation students and other academically at-risk student populations. The unit will focus on overall student success through learning skills development outreach and general policy and procedure administration. The unit will also focus on supporting high impact learning experiences for students and work in close collaboration with other GVSU Academic and Student Affairs Division departments and units.
University Value Statements
At Grand Valley State University, we value:
- Effective Teaching Inclusiveness
- Liberal Education Community
- Scholarship Sustainability
Student Academic Success Center (SASC) Values
- Student Success
- Professional Development
- Student Learning and Development
- Experiential Learning
- Lifelong Learning
Division Value Statements
- We believe in achieving excellence in teaching and learning throughout the University’s undergraduate and graduate programs.
- We believe the principles and practices of a traditional liberal education provide a sound foundation for all of the institution’s academic programs.
- We believe innovative scholarship and creative expression enrich the world and the lives of its citizens.
- We value internal and external service and collaborative partnerships that benefit the university’s constituents and the broader community.
- We value internal campus collaborations that enrich the intellectual culture of the University.
- We value the use of “high impact educational practices” (AAC&U 2008) that prepare students for the next stages in their lives after graduation.
- We believe shared governance promotes collaborative leadership that fosters and enhances academic excellence.
- We believe that diverse faculty and student bodies, inclusive programming and curricula, and an open and welcoming environment are fundamental components of a high-quality educational experience.
- We value and invest in economic, social, environmental, and cultural sustainability initiatives that have the potential to benefit our institution, our region and state, our nation, and the world.
- We believe in pursuing ever-increasing levels of excellence and efficiency through regular cycles of divisional planning, assessment and evaluation, conscientious application of assessment outcomes, and accountability.