WIT Peer Educator
*Please note that we have a limited number of paid opportunities. But, we are creating a volunteer team within the WIT program so we encourage you to use this application to apply. Please reach out if you have any questions.
Join us as we continue the second year of our WIT Peer Educator program with the Recreation & Wellness. We are looking for enthusiastic, positive, flexible students that want to help shape peer wellness education on campus! Our top priority areas for this year of the program will be Nutrition, General Wellness (sleep, stress, health care seeking), and Sexual Health. We encourage students from all backgrounds and majors to apply! If you are excited to change student wellness on campus, consider joining our team!
- Complete the WIT Peer Educator Employment Application.
- Submit resume, cover letter, and class schedule.
Start Date: Fall 2021
Duration: Fall 2021 - Winter 2022
Hours: 3-5 hours per week
Location: GVSU Allendale Campus, some events may be on GVSU Pew Campus
- Have and maintain a 2.5 gpa.
- Must be enrolled at GVSU and have completed at least 2 semesters of classes.
- Must be able to commit two semesters.
- Must be able to attend 2-day training prior to fall semester.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and strong communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Ability to take initiative on projects and not be afraid to ask questions.
- Must be able to manage time effectively and balance priorities.
- Must be able to interact with individuals from all backgrounds and perspectives.
- Interest in working with student health and wellness.
- Experience with community outreach.
- Evidence of written and oral presentation skills.
- Be detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and follow-up.
- Facilitate health education presentations and/or workshops in your assigned wellness area (sexual health, nutrition, or general wellness)
- Assist in social media and marketing campaign planning and development for the Recreation & Wellness marketing team
- In collaboration with other peer health educators, plan programming and outreach for awareness weeks
- Actively pursue current health information and new health trends in order to act as an accurate resource of information for health promotion initiatives.
- Assist in the evaluation of program efforts and offer input into future directions for the program.
- Work cooperatively with other Recreation & Wellness staff members and assist with departmental special events.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Attend monthly one-to-one meetings with supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned
Must be available to work about 3-4 hours per week. This will include 1 hour of team meeting time on Wednesdays from 5-6pm and about 1-3 hours of workshop presentations and/or outreach. Some evening or weekend work may be required.
At this time, we have a limited number of positions available for pay. But, we are working on creating a volunteer opportunity in which students could then have a chance to move to a paid role.
Support for professional development opportunities such as workshops, training, certifications, conferences and travel may be available based on performance and interest.
You can expect to learn skills such as time management, balancing priorities, attention to detail, interpersonal communication, customer service experience, working with people from diverse backgrounds and working as part of a team. Although your job with Recreation & Wellness does not have to be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.