Social Media Intern
This position is closed; we are no longer accepting applications at this time.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Marketing & Special Events, the Social Media Intern will be responsible for developing and overseeing all social media accounts for Campus Recreation, as well as posting on events, programming, service, and more. In addition, he/she will be responsible for the production and implementation of tactical marketing initiatives aimed at increasing customer retention, promoting brand image, improving program awareness, and strengthening current collaboration efforts with campus partners.
The internship will provide first-hand experience in social media content strategy, management, development and production.
Start Date: January 8, 2018
Duration: Must be available through Winter 2018 semester. Based on performance, student may be offered continued employment through the Spring/Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 semester.
Hours: Part time, up to 10-15 hours/week. Flexible with some evening and weekend events.
Location: GVSU Allendale Campus, Recreation Center
- GVSU Student with Marketing or Advertising/Public Relations major.
- Must be an avid and sophisticated consumer and user of social media, and have familiarity and experience with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat.
- Understanding of the role of social media for a business, specifically for a university or college.
- Self-starter who is comfortable working independently and on a team.
- Knowledge of role of photography, graphics, and videography in social media.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Creative & innovative thinker with strong attention to detail.
- Professional attitude with ability to be creative in brainstorming.
- Brainstorm and create engaging content across all platforms.
- Collaborate with other campus departments to promote events.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Team on long-term projects, such as campaign strategy, and short-term projects, such as monitoring analytics.
- Stay current with emerging social media trends and evaluate their potential use for Campus Recreation.
- Take photographs and/or video at events.
- Willingness to receive input/feedback on work produced.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Complete the Employment Application.
- Submit resume, cover letter, and class schedule.
- Include an image, caption, and hashtags you think followers would love on @GVSUrecreation Instagram.
- Include three written tweet examples for the @GVSUrecreation Twitter account.
- Include two Snapchat story ideas for @GVSUrecreation.
If you decide to pursue this opportunity as a credit-bearing internship, you will need to get approval from your academic department prior to the start of the academic semester in which you wish to register for the internship.
If you obtain this internship and register to receive academic credit, you may be eligible to receive a monetary GVSU Career Services Internship Award (provided you have financial need documented through a FAFSA). Award criteria and application materials are available under the Internship section on our web site at www.gvsu.edu/careers.