Currently accepting applications.
Responsible for working one-on-one with clients to support their health and fitness by developing exercise programs designed to meet the goals and needs of the client.
- Complete the Employment Application.
- Submit resume, cover letter, and class schedule.
Start Date: Fall 2023
Hours: Part Time
- Nationally recognized certification by an accredited agency in personal training or strength and conditioning (accepted certifications include: NSCA, ACSM, ACE, NASM, or equivalent)
- First Aid /CPR/AED Certification
- Prior experience with personal training, fitness instruction, strength coaching, or related experience
- Knowledge of ACSM Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription
- Must have excellent time management, customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Academic Programs in Exercise Science, Physical Therapy, Athletic Training, or related field
- Currently enrolled as a student and in good academic standing at GVSU.
- Design and execute safe, effective, and appropriate exercise plans geared to client’s, needs, goals, and abilities
- Maintain professional and confidential relationships with clients
- Perform fitness assessments evaluating body composition, cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, mobility, motor control, and range of motion
- Abide by ACSM protocol and guidelines
- Educate clients on proper and safe exercise technique using various types of free weight equipment, selectorized equipment, cardiovascular equipment, strength racks and platforms
- Maintain safety of client at all times and only coach within professional boundaries
- Follow Recreation & Wellness department and Facility policies
- Client file management
- Attend scheduled meetings and training sessions
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including nights and some weekends
- Support special events and service requests
- Coach small group training classes as needed
- Work in mentorship roles as needed
- Wage compensation is dependent on certifications and qualifications of the student
- Students may work a maximum of 25 hours per week during the academic year
- Students become eligible for a step increase after two semesters of employment with the same department at the department’s discretion. A student’s performance evaluation will be the tool used in the determination of a step increase.