Let's face it, dorms are small, space is tight, and outdoor gear is expensive! Even if you own your own gear, it's not always practical to bring it with you to college. The solution? The Outdoor Adventure's equipment rental program! We love the outdoors and we believe that a lack of gear shouldn't be what stands between you and a great sunset.
Outdoor Equipment Rental FAQ's
Outdoor gear rentals are only available to current GVSU students, faculty, & staff
Our inventory focuses primarily on essential backpacking/ camping gear but also contains a few miscellaneous items. Items currently include:
- Backpacks (internal frame, 60L-75L)
- Cooksets (pots/ pans) & flatware (plates/ bowls)
- Crash Pads (for bouldering - coming soon!)
- Hammocks (single & double)
- Hiking/ Camping stovesSleeping bags (15-40 deg)
- Tents (2 & 3 person)
Rates will vary based on the duration of your rental. There are 3 durations that will dictate the cost per item:
- 1-Day: This includes up to 24 hours hours.
- 3-Day: This includes up to 72 hours (e.g. Friday - Monday)
- 7-Day: This includes 4-7 days (e.g. Friday - Friday)
Specific costs per item can be found in the Outdoor Gear Reservation Request form.
Rentals are facilitated from our Ravines Center location (see map
below). This is also the location of our bike maintenance area. It
offers convenient parking for up to 15 minutes for pickup & drop
off of gear.
NOTE: OA does not regularly staff this building. We rely heavily on the Mail & Package center hours of operation for rentals.
Rentals are available via reservation any time the Mail & Package service is open. Generally, this is M-F 9a-6p and Sa 10a-2p. For the most up-to-date hours, please check the Mail & Package website.
OA does NOT regularly staff the Ravines Center. Requesting gear at least 2 business days in advance will allow us to best confirm availability and coordinate a pickup. Snowshoe rentals may be available on shorter notice during Winter months.
The Rental Process
- Renter submits the Equipment Rental Request form AT LEAST 2 business days before pickup
- OA staff confirm availability and sends email confirmation w/ link to Payment form + waiver OR request for modification within 24 hours
- Renter completes Payment form + waiver
- Upon receipt, staff readies gear and emails renter detailed instructions for access and pickup
- Renter picks-up/ drops-off equipment as agreed
* OA Staff are not normally present at the time of pickup. Any changes to rental items or quantities must be coordinated ahead of time.
Responsibilities & Expectations
All renters are responsible for:
- Inspecting their equipment before leaving the Ravines Center & documenting issues on the Pickup form.
- Returning their equipment on time.
- Returning each item in the condition it was rented (clean, dry, & free of debris).
- Accepting all risks and responsibility for any and all claims for damages and injuries suffered while using the rented equipment.
- Repair - Fees for damage deemed to not have been caused by normal use (whether intentional or not) will be assessed for all parts and labor required to fix or replace the item (depending on the extent of the damage).
- Replacement - Fees for items lost, stolen, or not returned after 7 days past the agreed upon return date will be assessed for the full cost of the replacement plus labor. If the exact item cannot be found or is no longer available on the market, a similar item will be substituted.
- Cleaning - A $10 fee will be assessed for each item that requires cleaning or drying before being returned to storage. Exception: Due to specific laundering requirements, please do not wash or dry the sleeping bags.
Questions about gear?
If you have questions about specific items or the process, please email Outdoor Adventures and a member of the staff will reply as soon as possible: [email protected]