Who can rent?
Outdoor gear rentals are only available to GVSU students, faculty, & staff.
What can you rent?
A variety of basic gear for hiking & camping is offered. Items in the inventory include but are not limited to:
- Tents (2-3 person)/ Hammocks
- Sleeping Bags (15-40 deg.) & Sleeping Pads
- Backpacks (internal frame)
Reservations are not required to rent gear. However, they are a smart way to ensure the specific gear you need is available when you need it. Here's what you should know:
- Reservations may be made up to 30 days in advance.
- It is strongly recommended that reservations be made at least 48 hours in advance.
- A deposit equal to each item's 1-day rate may be required to hold your reservation.
- Cancellation Policy: Reservations cancelled at least 48 hours in advance will receive a full deposit refund. Reservations cancelled 24-48 hours will receive 1/2 deposit refund. Reservations cancelled less than 24 hours before the date of pickup are not eligible for a deposit refund.
To make a reservation, simply complete the Reservation Form. A staff member will contact you as soon as possible regarding the availability of your requested gear and status of your reservation.
Note: To access the form, you will need to log-in using your GVSU network ID & password.
Equipment is stored and may be rented from the Climbing Center (B170 Fieldhouse).
Walk-in rentals are encouraged to take place during the Climbing Center's regular hours of operation. Renters wishing to pick-up or drop-off of equipment outside of the regular hours of operation should make prior arrangements with Joe Bitely, Campus Recreation Assistant Director at least 48 hours in advance.
Responsibilities & Expectations
All renters are responsible for:
- Inspecting their equipment before leaving the OAC.
- Returning their equipment on time.
- Returning each item in the condition it was rented.
- Accepting all risks and responsibility for any and all claims for damages and injuries suffered while using the rented equipment.
- Repair - Fees for damage deemed to not have been caused by normal use will be assessed for all parts and labor required to fix or replace the item (depending on the extent of the damage).
- Replacement - Fees for items lost, stolen, or not returned after 14 days will be assessed for the full cost of the replacement plus labor. If the exact item cannot be found or is no longer available on the market, a similar item will be substituted.
- Late - Fees for items not returned on the agreed upon date will be assessed at each item's 1-3 day rate for each day that each item is past due.
- Cleaning - A $10 fee will be assessed for each item that requires cleaning or drying before being returned to storage. Exception: Due to specific laundering requirements, please do not wash or dry the sleeping bags.