Intramural Sports Official
Applications are currently being accepted for the following positions. Students can work multiple sports during the course of the year. Months listed are the anticipated months those leagues will be played.
- Basketball (October-November & January-March)
- Flag Football (September-November & March-April)
- Soccer (September-November & January-March)
- Softball (September-October)
- Volleyball (October-December & March-April)
Click apply today to submit your application. Hiring will begin in August. Candidates will not be contacted until then.
Start Date: Varies by sport.
Duration: Fall and Winter Semesters. Must be available to work most evenings between 6 p.m.- 12 a.m.
Hours: Part time, flexible hours up to 10 hours/week.
Rate: starting at $9.87
Location: GVSU Allendale Campus
All GVSU Covid-19 policies must be followed by student employees.
- Must be a GVSU student
- Previous officiating or playing experience is preferred, but it is not required
- This is an active job. All employees are expected to move and hustle at all times
- Black pants/shorts are required and not provided. Leggings or yoga pants is not acceptable officiating attire
- Closed toe athletic shoes are required and not provided. Black, dark blue or white are preferred
- If needed for the sport, a whistle will be provided upon hiring
- Sport specific official uniform shirts will be provided
- Priority is given to applicants who are willing to work multiple sports. Please indicate all sports you are willing to work when applying.
- Work study positions are available, but not required
- Preference is given to applicants who are willing to work multiple sports.
- Set up fields/courts before the first game, including placing field markers or flags, setting up tables and scoreboards and organizing equipment and jerseys
- Communicate effectively with event supervisor throughout each shift
- Communicate effectively with the participants, including hold a pregame meeting with all captains
- Communicate effectively with fellow officials before, during and after each game
- Know sport rules, mechanics and signals for each sport worked. Trainings will be provided
- Officiate games as assigned by the sport supervisor.
- Enforce intramural sports rules and policies in accordance to the intramural sports manual and sport rule books
- Manage unruly participants and enforce penalties in accordance to the sport rules
- Provide updated availability. If an employee needs a sub, follow department specific rules for finding one.
- Act in a professional manner during each shift
- Attend all trainings, meetings and in-services. Complete all online trainings as assigned
- Maintain the professional standard for delivery of all programs