Intramural Sports Official
This position will officiate intramural sports games during the winter semester. Sports that require officials are flag football, soccer, and volleyball. If hired, a comprehensive training of the rules, mechanics and game management for all sports worked is provided.
NOTE: If local and state guidelines do not allow for in-person intramural sports, there will be no positions available.
Deadline to Apply: January 18, 2021
Start Date: Varies by sport. All sports will begin after Feb 1. Training could begin after January 24.
Duration: This position will work during Winter 2021 semester. Must be available to work most evenings between 6 p.m.- 12 a.m.
Hours: Part time, flexible hours up to 10 hours/week. Starting at $10.12/hour.
Location: GVSU Allendale Campus
All GVSU Covid-19 policies must be followed by student employees.
- Must be a GVSU student
- Previous officiating or playing experience is preferred, but it is not required
- This is an active job. All employees are expected to move and hustle at all times
- Black pants/shorts are required and not provided. Leggings or yoga pants is not acceptable officiating attire
- Closed toe athletic shoes are required and not provided. Black, dark blue or white are preferred
- If needed for the sport, a whistle will be provided upon hiring
- Sport specific official uniform shirts will be provided
- Priority is given to applicants who are willing to work multiple sports. Please indicate all sports you are willing to work when applying.
- Work study positions are available, but not required
- Preference is given to applicants who are willing to work multiple sports.
- Set up fields/courts before the first game, including placing field markers or flags, setting up tables and scoreboards and organizing equipment and jerseys
- Communicate effectively with event supervisor throughout each shift
- Communicate effectively with the participants, including hold a pregame meeting with all captains
- Communicate effectively with fellow officials before, during and after each game
- Know sport rules, mechanics and signals for each sport worked. Trainings will be provided
- Officiate games as assigned by the sport supervisor.
- Enforce intramural sports rules and policies in accordance to the intramural sports manual and sport rule books
- Manage unruly participants and enforce penalties in accordance to the sport rules
- Provide updated availability. If an employee needs a sub, follow department specific rules for finding one.
- Act in a professional manner during each shift
- Attend all trainings, meetings and in-services. Complete all online trainings as assigned
- Maintain the professional standard for delivery of all programs