Student Guidance for Experiential Education
General Guidelines for All Students:
This guidance is provided for credit bearing experiences but may also be applicable to non-credit bearing experiences (e.g., volunteer hours for program application, job shadowing, clinical observations). For questions specific to your experience contact your program director, or faculty internship coordinator/advisor. Decisions will be made at College/Program level, taking into account program requirements and accreditation adaptations. Please also refer to the GVSU COVID-19 website: https://www.gvsu.edu/lakerstogether/ for further guidance.
What to Expect When Completing Internships/Co-Ops/Clinicals/Field Experiences
Your personal safety is the most important- Take care of yourself first and follow the CDC guidelines to prevent illness: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html
Might have to provide own Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
Might have to take your temperature or have your temperature taken on-site
Follow site-based health and safety rules/expectations
Think twice before travel- there may be a need to self isolate may impact your ability to fulfill your required work hours.
Different rules may apply during a Pandemic around HIPAA (Privacy Health Law)- you may be required to share information about your personal health with individuals at your site or with program director, faculty internship coordinator/advisor
Examples of questions you may be asked:
- Have you been within 6 ft. of someone with COVID-19, or COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days?
- Have you recently developed a cough?
- Have you recently developed shortness of breath?
- Have you recently developed a new onset of any TWO or more of the following symptoms?
- Fever of 100.4°F or 38°C or greater
- Extreme tiredness (fatigue)
- Chills or shakes with chills
- Sore throat
- Muscle Aches
- Loss of sense of taste and/or smell
- Have you traveled?
- Have you been in contact with someone who has been exposed?
If your temperature is over 100.4ºF, or you answer “Yes” to the above questions, notify your supervisor, return home and contact your health care provider for further guidance. https://www.gvsu.edu/cms4/asset/8C0B809B-0726-4E3B-1EBA4A40A82D8597/covid-self-assessment-fillable_6-3-2020.pdf