Date of Last Update
- Senior Leadership Team
Export Policy As PDF
Keys and Access Card Policy
The objective of this key and access card procedure is to define the system of key control at the University. Office Coordinators are urged to maintain a list of keys and access cards persons in their units possess for security and accountability purposes. Issuance and usage of keys and access cards is to be in accordance with principles of reasonable security.
FACILITIES SERVICES RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identification codes on keys
- Issuing and maintaining records of keys and cards
- Maintenance, repair, and replacement of keys and lock hardware
- Duplication of keys
- Replacement of access cards
APPOINTING OFFICERS AND SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Approving keys and access cards for faculty and/or staff members in their unit.
- The employee is responsible for the security of keys and access cards assigned. Lost or stolen keys must be reported immediately to department administration, Facilities Services Allendale, Public Safety and Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers.
- A replacement charge of $20 will be charged to the employee for each lost or stolen key or access card before a replacement can be issued. The employee will also be responsible for costs to rekey an office due to lost or stolen key.
- The replacement fee for a lost or stolen sub-master, master, lock box key or grand master will be $100 and must be paid by the employee before a duplicate is made. The employee’s department will be responsible for the costs to rekey due to lost or stolen sub-master, master, lock box key or grand master key.
- Disciplinary action if needed will be left to the supervisor.
- No refunds will be issued.
- No charges to the employee who cannot return keys due to severe injury, illness or death.
- Employees who change offices will be issued new keys at the time the old keys are returned. A key request needs to be completed for the new keys. Employees must not transfer keys to the employee replacing them.
- Employees must return keys to the Facilities Services Key Department or the Facilities Services Grand Rapids office.
- Broken or damaged keys or access cards should be returned at the time the new key is issued to avoid a replacement fee.
- Under no circumstances are university keys to be duplicated or given to other employees. The person who signed for the key will be held responsible. Any requests for additional access are to be made through the normal request procedures. Appropriate disciplinary action will be pursued for unauthorized duplication.
- All keys and access cards are to be turned into Facilities Services Allendale or Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers office at the time of termination of employment. Employees must not transfer keys to the employee replacing them. All terminated or retiring employees are encouraged to check with the Facilities Services Allendale Key department or Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers office well in advance of their last day to determine what keys have been issued to them.
- The employee's department will be responsible for any keys not returned.
Levels of Keys and Issuance
A system of keys ranging from Grand Master (GM) Keys down to the lowest level key is used to satisfy user needs. Facilities Services aims to issue the smallest number of keys possible. Keys will not be issued where card access is available.
Grand Master Key is the highest-level key on campus. These keys cover all of the keyways within the entire key system. All GM key requests must receive the approval of the appropriate division heads, the Associate Vice President for Facilities Services, and the Vice President for Finance and Administration. These key(s) are issued to the Associate Vice President for Facilities, Director of Facilities, Assistant Director, or Manager of Facilities Services, the Director of Facilities Planning, Project Managers, the Director of Public Safety Services, Facilities Services Supervisors and Public Safety Officers. Other Facilities Services staff and some university personnel may be approved, but only after administrative, and executive officer authorization.
Due to the level of access granted by a GM key, all GM keys will be issued on a tamper proof key ring, and require a tracking device be added to any key ring containing this level of key. The initial tracking device will be issued by Facilities Services Allendale or Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers. Data collected through the tracking device is for use only by Facilities Services - Allendale, Security staff, and Facilities Services – Grand Rapids and Regional Centers and is for the sole purpose of locating a GM key in the event of loss or theft. Employees are prohibited from tampering or attempting to alter or disable the tracking device or key ring which the GM key was issued. The employee will be responsible for costs associated with replacing a tracking device due to loss or theft. Replacement due to damaged, worn, or non-working tracking devices will be covered by Facilities Services – Allendale or Facilities Services – Grand Rapids and Regional Centers, so long as the damaged, worn or non-working tracking device is returned.
Master Keys operate all keyways except mechanical rooms and designated restricted areas. These keys are issued to Deans or Administrative Assistants with responsibility for all building and department activities. Custodial Staff will also be issued appropriate keys for the building to which they are assigned. Issuance of these keys must be approved by the Associate Vice President for Facilities Services.
Sub-Master Keys operate a sub-group of locks within a master key system such as an individual department. These are issued based on proof of need and require approval of the Associate Vice President for Facilities Services.
Operator Keys allow entry to individual offices or rooms. These are the primary keys issued to faculty and staff. Approval is from the Associate Vice President for Facilities Services.
Entrance Keys operate entrance doors to buildings, departments, or suites. Approval is from the Associate Vice President for Facilities Services.
File Keys are issued as requested to allow access to department files or personal office files, desks or cabinets.
A Key record is maintained for each employee possessing a University key or access card. The information in the key system includes the employee’s name, job title, department and phone number. The system also lists the date the key is issued, the key code, access location, room numbers, employee’s signature, and dates of key/access card return.
Key Request Procedures
- Access to locked areas of the University is based upon need.
- Whenever possible, employees will be issued the minimum number of keys and access cards at the lowest level allowing access to their areas of assignment only.
- Students, Grad Assistants, and temporary employees will not be issued brass keys to academic buildings. Employees signing out keys for these individuals will be held responsible for the keys.
- Access cards may be issued if a student is enrolled in a program that requires card access i.e: Engineering, Health Campus Programs, CLAS.
- Grad Assistants may be issued access cards for the duration of their employment to buildings or spaces where they work.
- All key requests must be submitted in the KEY SYSTEM, which is available on the Facilities Services website.
- Information in the KEY SYSTEM must be complete with proper supervisor or department approval. Incomplete requests will be denied. Proper justification must be provided for anything other than keys to specific doors.
Allendale Campus: Keys will be delivered to a designated office or can be picked up at the Central Utilities Building (CUB). The employee responsible for the keys/cards will use their university username and password to login to the electronic key system to verify receipt and responsibility of the keys/cards.
Grand Rapids Campuses: The requestor will receive an email letting them know that the keys/cards are ready to be picked up at either the Facilities Services office located in the Bicycle Factory, Suite 350, or at the main desk of the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences Building. The employee responsible for the keys/cards will use their university username and password to log in to the electronic key system to verify receipt and responsibility of the keys/cards.
Regional Centers: Keys/cards requested for regional center buildings will be delivered. The employee responsible for the keys/cards will use their university username and password to log in to the electronic key system to verify receipt and responsibility of the keys/cards.
Return of Keys
When a key or access card is returned from an employee because the need no longer exists, the key record system will be updated with a return date. Upon termination of university employment, Facilities Services Allendale and Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers will be notified by Human Resources.
The employee’s supervisor should follow up and direct the proper return of keys to Facilities Services Allendale and Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers. These key changes are reflected in the key records and the file is closed.
Under no circumstances are keys to be retained by the department and given to a new employee.
Contractors and Vendors - Special Key Issuance and Lost keys
Vendors are issued temporary keys and access cards through the Facilities Services Allendale office or the Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers office. Such keys and access cards are to be returned immediately upon completion of the contracted service or by 5:00 p.m. each day. Keys may be kept overnight with university manager approval.
In addition to the fee for a lost key, the responsible person/vendor accepts the responsibility to pay for the re-core of the building or buildings which the lost key was assigned to open. The cost of such a re-core may reach $10,000.00 or more depending on the size of the building and number of cores to replace. We urge all of our contractors/vendors to maintain custody of your keys and access cards at all times.
Students and Temporary Job Assignments
Students and temporary employees may have keys or access cards temporarily assigned to them for the duration of their shift and must return them daily. These are to be checked out through the Facilities Services Allendale office or the Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers office and require supervisor’s permission. A driver’s license must also be presented and information will be recorded.
Employees receiving temporary job assignments may check out the appropriate building key from the Facilities Services Allendale office or Facilities Services Grand Rapids and Regional Centers office to work in the assigned area. (Example: custodians or maintenance personnel temporarily assigned to a different routine). These keys may be held for the duration of the temporary assignment and do not have to be returned daily.
Key Check Out Procedures
Lock Box Keys are issued to Facilities Services Allendale, Facilities Services Grand Rapids, Public Safety, Technology Services, and designated contractors only. This key allows access to key boxes that are located in designated buildings and contain a master key for that building. Lock Box keys are issued to designated individuals within these departments based on proof of need. These key requests must be approved by the Associate Vice President for Facilities Services.
Allendale Campus: Key and access card checkout is located in CUB for temporary checkout of keys and access cards. Identification (driver's license) of the individual checking out the key as well as verification of need will be necessary.
Grand Rapids and Regional Center Campuses: Key and access card checkout for the Pew Campus and Regional Centers is located at the Bicycle Factory, Suite 350, for the temporary checkout of keys and access cards. Key and access cards for the Health Campus can be signed out from the main desk at the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences. Identification of the individual checking out the key as well as verification of need will be necessary. Keys and access cards are to be returned daily by 5pm.