Dr. Richard Jelier, Professor of Public Administration
Office Address: 252C DeVos Center
Phone: (616) 331-6578
PNH 495 - Community Analysis (Capstone)
PNH 620 - Metropolitan Politics and Administration
PNH 641 - Economic and Community Development
PNH 671 - Building Sustainable Communities
Dr. Richard Jelier joined the faculty in the fall of 1995 after receiving a dual Ph.D. from Michigan State University in Political Science-Urban Studies. He is the former director of SPNHA.
He was a Fulbright Scholar in the Russian Federation at Moscow State University, directed and instructed the London Urbanization in 1999, 2008, 2011 and created, directed and instructed the Public Affairs and Planning summer program in Sydney, Australia 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007. He was a research fellow and instructor at Kingston University, London 2002.
Dr. Jelier’s research and service remains active in planning, comparative administration, economic development and urban and community affairs and has served as a principal investigator on a number of funded grant projects.
Ph.D., Michigan State University
M.A., Michigan State University
B.S., Michigan State University
B.A., Michigan State University
Dr. Jelier's Curriculum Vitae
- The book I am currently recommending to my friends is ... Tasting and Touring Michigan's Homegrown Food: A Culinary Road Trip (Arbutus Press)- yes a shameless plug for my wife's book.
- The music I am currently recommending to my friends is ... I'm a music junkie, always searching for the next best thing, right now jamming on First Aid Kit, Florence and the Machine, Archie Roach, Dead Can Dance
- My favorite city in the world is ... this is a tough one because I love cities, but probably London.
- My best advice to students is ... have passion and enthusiasm for your studies and you'll have great success.
- People are surprised to know that I ... play guitar and a little harmonica
- My favorite comfort food is ... Thai or Indian
- At home, I have a pet ... Dusty, the coolest dog ever