Dr. Priscilla J. Kimboko, Professor of Gerontology and Healthcare Management
Office Address: 256C DeVos Center
Phone: (616) 331-6575
Email: [email protected]
PNH 619 - Public Management Seminar
PNH 630 - Health Administration and Service
PNH 645 - Opportunities in Aging Societies
Professor Kimboko teaches grant writing, aging in society, long-term care, and the capstone management seminar. She founded the Annual Art & Science of Aging conference at GVSU, which features professional and personal development workshops around aging issues.
Professor Kimboko's research appears in the Journal of Activities, Adaptation and Aging, Journal of Aging and Human Development, Journal of Gerontological Social Work, and Social Work. She is co-author of the book Helping Networks and Human Services. She serves on local advisory boards for the Grand Rapids Community College Gerontology Program, the Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan, and the Senior Odyssey Michigan program. She has been an active consultant and participant in the Creating Community for a Lifetime and the Encore/Coming of Age projects led by the Grand Rapids Community Foundation. One of her major publications was a book: Helping Networks in Human Services, that emerged from a federally funded research grant program.
Prior to joining the SPNHA faculty, she served as Grand Valleys first Dean of Graduate Studies and Grants Administration. She held a full-time faculty position in the Gerontology Program at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, CO, where she taught undergraduate and graduate courses on aging and management practices related to the aging network. She served in an administrative position as Associate Dean for Graduate Education at UNC for 10-years. She has also worked in urban planning for Multnomah County (OR), at the Portland State University Regional Research Institute for Human Services, and at the University of Denver (DU) Graduate School of Social Work.
Professor Kimboko holds a Ph.D. in urban studies and a B.S. in anthropology from Portland State University (Oregon).
Ph.D., Portland State University (OR)
M.S., Portland State University (OR)
B.S., B.S.c., Portland State University (OR)
Dr. Kimboko's Curriculum Vitae
- People are surprised to find out that ... my Kindle has over 200 books and counting, in various stages of completion.
- I would like to be a better ... gardener, of fresh produce, beautiful flowers, and a lovely yard.
- The book I am currently recommending to my friends is ... The Righteous Mind: Why good people are divided by politics and religion, by Jonathan Haidt. But my all-time favorite book is A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France and the Birth of America by Stacy Schiff.
- My best advice to my students is ... dig deep into their subjects, stay focused on their goals, and work hard. Because students pay a lot for their education, they need to learn as much as they can while in school.
- The second best advice I give my students is …don't wait until you're my age to pay attention to the factors that promote healthy aging.