OURS Student Ambassadors
Launched in the fall semester of 2014, the OURS Student Ambassador program allows former student scholars to continue their work with the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (OURS). OURS Student Ambassadors represent the office by providing outreach and guidance to GVSU undergraduate students interested in getting involved in research opportunities. OURS Student Ambassadors have had a positive undergraduate research experience to share with others, and are dedicated to spreading the word about Undergraduate Research at Grand Valley State University. They also work with the OURS staff on improving outreach efforts and programming.
Become an Ambassador
What Does an Ambassador Do?
An OURS Student Ambassador is responsible for the promotion of undergraduate research throughout GVSU and the larger West Michigan community (high schools, middle schools, prospective GVSU students). Ambassadors are tasked with increasing awareness of undergraduate opportunities at GVSU among their peers by presenting to groups of students, offering seminars and workshops, and being available to mentor students during the process of research. In doing so, Ambassadors will help interested students develop the skills needed to embark on undergraduate research, increase number of GVSU students that begin undergraduate research prior to their junior year, and increase attendance at the Undergraduate Research Fair, Student Scholars Day, and other events or programs coordinated by the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship.
Being an Undergraduate Research Ambassador comes with a wide range of benefits, including:
- Tuition grant of $500 per semester
- Development of public speaking, communication, and marketing skills
- Working with administrative staff, GVSU faculty, and students of all ages
How Ambassadors Can Help You
- Answer questions that you may have about the process of research, ranging from how to ask a research question to how to disseminate your research
- Mentor you through the Student Summer Scholars program application and research process
- Give a short presentation to your class or department about their experiences in research and the support that OURS can provide to GVSU students
- Share their personal experiences and opinions on best practices regarding their direct collaboration with a faculty mentor