GVSU Undergraduate Research/Creative Scholar Designation on the GVSU Transcript
Exemplary GVSU Undergraduate students who have pursued research or creative projects are eligible to receive a designation of “Undergraduate Research Scholar” or “Undergraduate Creative Scholar” on their official transcript.
The goal of the GVSU Undergraduate Research Scholar designation is to foster and deepen undergraduate research at GVSU, while recognizing student excellence in undergraduate research and inquiry. The program recognizes that exemplary student scholarship encompasses a depth of knowledge in the discipline, strong skills of inquiry, an understanding of research ethics, and strong skills in writing and presentation.
About the Designation
Designation requests can be submitted at any time. You may also submit the application up to one year after graduation, after you have completed all of the requirements. We ask for thirty days to process requests.
OURS will verify that the student has completed all of the requirements listed on the application. If confirmed, OURS will submit the student’s name and appropriate designation to the Registrar who will enter the notation on the transcript. GVSU Research/ Creative Scholars also receive a certificate of achievement. You may also receive graduation cords if you submit your request in enough time before your ceremony. For Fall ceremonies, we need applications by November 1. For Winter ceremonies, we need applications by March 15.
How to Apply
You will need a faculty verification of research and an endorsement. Send the following link to your faculty recommenders: www.gvsu.edu/ours/endorsement
You will also need to submit one complete PDF document that you will submit online. There is only one upload button, so please be sure your document is complete.
The application must consist of the following materials:
- Two semesters of mentored scholarship, or participation in a full-time OURS Summer Scholar Program.
- Applicant must have completed a minimum of two semesters of research, scholarship, or creative activity supervised by a tenured, or tenure track faculty mentor. Applicant needs to have the supervising faculty member submit verification through our online form. (Please note that Spring/Summer is considered one semester), OR
- Applicant must have completed an OURS Summer Scholar Program, and/or Michigan Space Grant. Students participating in a part-time OURS Summer Scholar Program must complete an additional semester of research to be eligible.
- On Campus Dissemination
- Applicant must have disseminated research or scholarship through a recognized, on campus venue such as Student Scholars Day, GVSU Summer Scholar Showcase, or departmental presentations. Both citation and abstract are required.
- Off Campus Dissemination
- Applicant must have disseminated peer- reviewed research or scholarship through a state, regional, or national conference, and/or juried artistic venue, such as an art exhibition, concert or festival; or, publish (or have accepted for publication) applicant’s research or creative project in a refereed [peer-reviewed] research or professional journal. Both citation and abstract are required. The West Michigan Regional Undergraduate Science (WMRUGS) Research Conference, hosted by the Van Andel Institute, and the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) is acceptable for off campus dissemination.
- An up-to-date CV or résumé
- Scholarship/Research Statement
- Applicant must include a research/scholarship statement describing applicant’s scholarship path and contributions. This statement should be no less than 1,000 words.
- Applicant needs to have the faculty member submit an endorsement through our online form.
The student applicant is required to have a faculty member verify the student's semesters of research, and a faculty endorsement. It may be the same faculty member, or two separate faculty members. The faculty must submit their verification/endorsement through our online form. It is the student's responsibility to provide the faculty the link for the verification/endorsement form. Please let us know from whom we should expect to see verifications/endorsements on your behalf.
- Verification of two semesters of mentored scholarship: Applicant must have completed a minimum of two semesters of research, scholarship, or creative activity supervised by a tenured, or tenure track faculty mentor. Applicant needs to have the supervising faculty member submit verification through our online form. (Please note that Spring/Summer is considered one semester).
- Endorsement: Applicant needs to have the faculty member submit an endorsement through our online form.
Q: Can the same faculty member verify semesters of research and submit an endorsement?
A: Yes. We also often find that students have two faculty members verifying the semesters of research. One faculty member per semester.
Q: Does the West Michigan Regional Undergraduate Science Research Conference (WMRUGS), hosted by the Van Andel Institute, count as "Off Campus Dissemination?"
A: Yes. We will also accept the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR).