GVSU Undergraduate Research/Creative Scholar Designation on the GVSU Transcript
Exemplary GVSU Undergraduate students who have pursued research or creative projects are eligible to receive the designation of “Undergraduate Research Scholar” or “Undergraduate Creative Scholar” on their official transcript and receive cords and a certificate.
The goal of the GVSU Undergraduate Research Scholar designation is to foster and deepen undergraduate research at GVSU, while recognizing student excellence in undergraduate research and inquiry. The program recognizes that exemplary student scholarship encompasses a depth of knowledge in the discipline, strong skills of inquiry, an understanding of research ethics, and strong skills in writing and presentation.
About the Designation
Designation requests can be submitted at any time. You may also submit the application up to one year after graduation, after you have completed all of the requirements. We ask for thirty days to process requests.
To receive graduation cords in time before your commencement we need applications by the first Friday in December for Fall ceremonies. For Winter ceremonies, we need applications by the first Friday in April.
The application must consist of the following materials:
- Two semesters of mentored scholarship, or participation in a full-time OURS Summer Scholar Program.
- Applicant must have completed a minimum of two semesters of research, scholarship, or creative activity supervised by a tenured, or tenure track faculty mentor, OR
- Applicant must have completed an OURS Summer Scholar Program, and/or Michigan Space Grant. Students participating in a part-time OURS Summer Scholar Program must complete an additional semester of research to be eligible.
- On Campus Dissemination
- Applicant must have disseminated research or scholarship through a recognized, on campus venue such as Student Scholars Day, GVSU Summer Scholar Showcase, or departmental presentations. Both citation and abstract are required.
- Off Campus Dissemination
- Applicant must have disseminated peer-reviewed research or scholarship through a state, regional, or national conference, and/or juried artistic venue, such as an art exhibition, concert or festival; or, publish (or have accepted for publication) applicant’s research or creative project in a refereed [peer-reviewed] research or professional journal. Both citation and abstract are required.
- An up-to-date CV or résumé
- Scholarship/Research Statement
- Applicant must include a research/scholarship statement describing the applicant’s scholarship path and contributions. This statement should be no less than 1,000 words.
- Applicant needs to have the faculty member submit an endorsement through our online form.
How to Apply
You will need a faculty verification of research and an endorsement. Send the following link to your faculty recommenders: www.gvsu.edu/ours/endorsement
You will also need to submit one complete PDF document that you will submit online. There is only one upload button, so please be sure your document is complete.