Chalk Art Symposium
Inspired by the University of Colorado Boulder, the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (OURS) hosted the first annual GVSU Chalk Art Symposium on Thursday, September 29, 2022. The symposium is a way to feature the work of student researchers, scholars, and musicians through non-traditional means. We have partnered with GVSU Alum and chalk artist, Emily Miller, '14 & '20, who worked with students to translate research from traditional posters and oral talks to the sidewalk.
- Chalk artists will be present from 4:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- Located on the north side of Mary Idema Pew Library plaza area
- Participants will be joined by Emily Miller, GVSU Alum and local chalk artist
- In case of inclement weather, the event will be moved to the Kirkhof Center lobby
- Campus chalking policy will be followed
Participants, get creative and consider including:
- questions your project seeks to answer
- diagrams of methods or relevant processes
- illustrations of biological or chemical structures
- drawings of mechanical components and designs
- titles of creative or performance pieces
- graphs, charts or tables of significant data
- mathematical formulas, relevant theorems, etc.
Emily Miller, GVSU Alum,'14 & '20, and local elementary art teacher and chalk artist, will be joining our student and faculty artists and providing on-site assistance throughout the event. She was the People's Choice winner of the 2022 Zeeland Chalk Fest and is an active alumni on campus participating in events such as the Chalk Prize at GVSU.
Participation and Time Commitment
- Chalk Art Symposium participation is open to students and faculty actively engaged in research in and out of the classroom
- Participants are required to take part at the time of the symposium
- Participants will have the opportunity to work with an artist in planning prior to the symposium