Academic and Professional Enrichment Fund
Formerly known as Student Enrichment Travel Grants, the Academic and Professional Enrichment Fund (APEF) provides travel funds to support undergraduate student travel to academic conferences and meetings coordinated by a faculty sponsor.
About the Award
APEF is available to all undergraduate students who may be looking for one time funding to attend an academic conference that is related to their major, minor, and/or professional goals, or to engage in a professional experience. Students must be accompanied by a coordinating faculty member.
Attending a conference with a faculty member can be a valuable experience which can enrich a student’s understanding of a discipline and subsequent professions. APEF is intended to assist students in attending such conferences. APEF is NOT intended to fund class trips and is NOT intended to fund student presenters.
Awards of up to $400.00 will be granted per student for up to three students, totaling $1200.00 per faculty member. A faculty member may, if needed, apply for more than 3 students, however the award cap remains $1200.00. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship for additional information.
APEF is divided into 4 allotments which are distributed equally over the fiscal year (July-September, October-December, January-March, April-June). Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis each quarter (provided proposals meet established guidelines) until funds are exhausted for the quarter.
Please note: the APEF grant is coordinated by a faculty sponsor, but the funds are for student travel only. Faculty members and students are eligible for funding only once per fiscal year. No more than two grants per faculty department will be granted per fiscal year.
Funding is available to all tenure, tenure-track, visitor and affiliate faculty.
Funding eligibility is open to all undergraduate students who meet the following:
- Are at least halftime student of Grand Valley State University at time of travel (6 credits for undergraduates)
- Are in good academic standing with the university
Although this is a non-competitive grant, applications will be reviewed by the Director of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship for eligibility, quality, and/or alignment with the intent of the Academic and Professional Enrichment Fund. Please allow 10 business days for grant application review.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted through our online form on a per quarter basis for the July 1-June 30 fiscal year until funds are depleted. Funding awards will be on a first come, first served basis.
The faculty member applicant needs to complete the application form and obtain the required signatures. The signature page must be submitted through the online application. If you have been approved for more than three students, please also include the additional student information sheet through the online form.
Applications are due to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (230 LIB) beginning the first day of quarter opening (or first following business day) and/or no later than 30 days before the intended travel of the participants within the appropriate funding quarter (see table below).
If Conference Is Between:
You Should Apply:
July 1 - September 30
June 1 - August 31
October 1 - December 31
September 1 - November 30
January 1 - March 31
December 1 - February 28
April 1 - June 30
March 1 - May 31
Report & Reimbursement Instructions
AWARDED FACULTY RESPONSIBILITIES
The department should work with the student(s) to determine travel arrangements. It is up to the department to decide how the travel will be initially funded, whether that be by department purchases, student out of pocket purchases, etc. The awarded faculty's department must request a fund transfer through OnBase to OURS. Undergraduate Research & Scholarship is listed among the departments. Attach copies of processed student travel receipts (i.e. department purchases, processed student T&E forms and receipts, etc.) to the OnBase fund transfer request. We will process the request for reimbursement transfer from the awarded faculty's department upon approval of the student report(s).
Faculty members are responsible for:
- Applying for the APEF grant
- Communicating APEF obligations to the students
- Communicating travel expense arrangements to the students
- Traveling to the conference with the students
- Making sure the students submit the APEF Conference Report and Reflection Activities Summary and Reflection Essay within 2 weeks from the last day of the conference
AWARDED STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES
The student(s) must submit the APEF Conference Report and Reflection to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship within 2 weeks from the last day of the conference. This includes:
- Activities Summary
- Your activities summary should include, but not be limited to the sessions, seminars, or exhibits you attended during your time at the conference. Note: a copy of the conference brochure is not sufficient.
- Reflection Essay
- Your essay should address how this experience has impacted your understanding of the academic discipline and profession. Also, please address how the conference has enhanced your liberal education and how you intend to maximize the experience.
The student(s) should submit the activities summary and reflection essay through the online form. Students are expected to adhere to GVSU's Student Code. Failure to meet these requirements may result in loss of funding by APEF.
Information for Department Coordinators
- The awarded faculty member's department is responsible for the initial travel costs for the students
- APEF covers student costs ONLY (not faculty travel costs)
- APEF grants up to $400 per student for up to 3 students
- The awarded faculty member's department must request reimbursement of student costs through OnBase. Undergraduate Research & Scholarship is listed among the departments. Attach copies of student travel receipts (i.e. department purchases, student T&E forms and receipts, etc.) to the OnBase fund transfer request
- OURS will process the request for reimbursement transfer from the awarded faculty member's department upon approval of the student report(s)
- If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 331-8100
Please Note: The APEF grant and the ACF grant are mutually exclusive. A student may only receive one grant per fiscal year.