Spanish Honor Society
Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish)
Sigma Delta Pi invites those students who seek excellence in the study of the culture, language, literature, and history of the Spanish-speaking peoples to apply for admission to the chapter for 2023. Our local GVSU chapter is authorized to honor with membership outstanding students who are earnest supporters of all things Hispanic.
This national honor society was formed to encourage colleges and universities to promote a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Spanish speaking cultures and to foster friendly relations and mutual respect. Sigma Delta Pi exhibits its sense of pride through its insignia, the royal seal of Fernando de Aragón and Isabel de Castilla, and the red and gold colors of the Spanish flag.
Rules of Eligibility
1. At least junior-level standing and a cumulative grade point average of 3.2.
2. Completion of at least three years of study of college-level Spanish (18 semesters credit hours or the equivalent thereof), including having completed with a letter grade:
• one course in Hispanic literature (either SPA 330, 331, 332, 400 level or equivalent)
• and one course in Hispanic culture and civilization (either SPA 310, 311, 312, 313, or equivalent)
3. A minimal grade point average of 3.0 in all Spanish courses taken.
4. Good moral character.
5. Payment of a lifetime membership fee of $25.
6. Attendance at the initiation ceremony on Friday, March 31, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
Applying for Membership
If you meet the above requirements, please submit to Dr. Diane Wright by March 3, 2023:
1) A brief paragraph in Spanish or English about why you are learning Hispanic literature and culture or a copy of an essay you have written for a course in Hispanic Literature.
2) A copy of your unofficial transcript (if you studied abroad also include the grades you received from the program).
3) Contact information: Name, phone number, and home and e-mail addresses
4) Cash or money order for $25.00 (made out to Diane Wright).
****The above may be submitted to the MLL department office (Mackinac Hall B-2-243) or to Dr.. Wright or Dr. Pozzi (Mackinac Hall B-261)
More information can be found at the Department web page: http://www.gvsu.edu/mll or by contacting Prof. Wright at [email protected] or Prof. Gabriela Pozzi at [email protected]