LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Spanish Honor Society
Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish)
Sigma Delta Pi invites those students who seek excellence in the study of the language, culture, history, and literature of the Spanish-speaking peoples to apply for admission to the chapter for 2020. Our local GVSU chapter is authorized to honor with membership outstanding students who are earnest supporters of all things Hispanic.
This national honor society was formed to encourage colleges and universities to promote a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Spanish-speaking cultures and to foster friendly relations and mutual respect. Sigma Delta Pi exhibits its sense of pride through its insignia, the royal seal of Fernando de Aragón and Isabel de Castilla, and the red and gold colors of the Spanish flag.
Rules of Eligibility
1. At least junior-level standing and a cumulative grade point average of 3.2.
2. Completion of at least three years of study of college-level Spanish (18 semesters credit hours or the equivalent thereof), including having completed at least one course in Hispanic literature (SPA 330, 331, 332 or equivalent) and one course in Hispanic culture and civilization (SPA 310, 311, 312, 313, or equivalent) at the third year level.
3. A minimal grade point average of 3.0 in all Spanish courses taken.
4. Good moral character.
5. Payment of a lifetime membership fee of $25. Cash or money order accepted at time of acceptance.
6. Attendance at the initiation ceremony on Friday, April 16, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
Applying for Membership
If you meet the above requirements, please send application by March 27, 2021 to Professor Wright or Professor Fox:
1) A brief paragraph in Spanish or English about why you are learning Hispanic literature and culture or a copy of an essay you have written for a course in Hispanic literature.
2) A copy of your unofficial transcript (if you studied abroad also include the grades you received from the program).
3) Contact information: Name, phone number, home address, and email.
You will be notified upon acceptance at which time you will need to submit the initiation fee of $25.00 in cash or money order made out to: Diane Wright.