Mission, Vision, and Goals
It is the mission of this certificate to provide students with an opportunity to discover and build new knowledge of people within different groups. This includes: different cultures, languages, classes, genders, sexual orientations, sexual identities, races, abilities, ethnic backgrounds, religions, and other diversity groups of the United States and across the globe.
The mission also includes teaching students skills to respond respectfully and effectively to people in a manner that recognizes, affirms, and values the worth of individuals, families, and communities. We do this by combining theoretical understanding and practical tools gained through experiential learning.
ITC is committed to the teaching and training of students, the university community, and the community at large, in understanding and respecting those who are different from one's self. ITC operates on the belief that by doing so students will become confident in their abilities to be informed, active citizens of the world.
- Enable students to develop multicultural competencies that will assist them in their future professional, civic, and personal endeavors
- Increase the students’ diversity awareness including national and international perspectives
- Provide opportunities for students to develop a portfolio of diversity experiences that could be shared with potential employers or graduate programs
- Assist students in their ability to engage in a dialogue on issues of diversity, inclusiveness and multiculturalism
- Guide students in creating self-definitions of diversity, inclusiveness, and multiculturalism
- Provide opportunities for students to practice their diversity skills in multiple settings
- Help students achieve consciousness of the "dynamics" inherent when cultures interact