STEM stands for Science Technology Engineering Mathematics. Students should check the ICE Website's STEM List to see if their major is considered as STEM and therefore are eligible for a 24 month OPT STEM Extension.
Students wishing to apply for the OPT STEM Extension must complete the following information and submit it to the OPT STEM PORTAL
- Submit a scanned copy of the I-983 form. This must be completed by you and your supervisor. You should keep the original.
- Your name, current address and phone number
- Your employer's name, address, and E-verify number
- Your Supervisor's name, email address and phone number
- Your job title
- How your position relates to what you studied at GVSU
- Dates of current OPT Authorization
- First date of employment at current employer
Once GVSU receives this information, we will review and process your new I-20. We will send the I-20 to you. Then, you will need to complete the information for your STEM application for USCIS. Please note, it takes between 2 days and 2 weeks to process a new I-20.
STEM Application Checklist
- Completed I-765 form: On # 27 write ( C ) ( 3 ) ( C )
- Completed G-1145 form
- Check or money order for $410.00 (pay to the order of: USCIS)
- Passport photos – 2 please!
- Copies of the following documents: (Keep your originals)
- New I-20
- Passport identification page
- F-1 visa
- I-94 (you probably need to print a copy of your electronic I-94)
- Current EAD Card
Make copies of all the items above including your method of payment and mail your application packet with tracking to this address:
USCIS Chicago Lockbox
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
PO Box 805373
Chicago, IL 60680
FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
Attn: I-765 C03
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517