Pre-Arrival General Info

Visa Advice can be found here

Flight Information: 

As soon as you have purchased your flight to the Grand Rapids International Airport (GRR), submit your flight details here. Flight details must be sent at least 4 days before arrival to the United States.


We encourage you, as an international student, to live on campus at Grand Valley. Laker Village and the International House at Murray are strongly recommended since most international students live in either of these two housing options. Request apartment-style housing instead of traditional dormitories ( dorms) as you will be provided a full kitchen. If you are a J-1 student, apply as a 3rd year transfer student. Visit the Grand Valley Housing website to apply. You will find out your housing placement in mid-August. You will need to provide your home address if possible. If the application will not accept your address, please use the Padnos International Center address: Padnos International Center 130 LOH Allendale, MI 49401 If on campus housing does not fit your needs, off campus housing is also available.

More info can be found here

Class Registration: 

Undergraduate students will be contacted by their academic advisor in May or June (for FALL) or November (for WINTER) to register for classes. Be sure you respond to his or her emails in a timely manner, as it is important to have a set class schedule before arriving to Grand Valley. Graduate students should contact their own academic advisor in May or June (for FALL) or November (for WINTER). All students should have their classes before International student orientation. There will be a chance during orientation to make last minute changes, but you should have a solid schedule by the time you arrive to Grand Valley.


No vaccinations are required by Grand Valley; however, vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella, polio and tuberculosis are recommended. No proof is required. If you are bringing any prescription drugs to the United States, you must bring an English translation of the prescription with them. In case any prescriptions are needed while you are here, MetroHealth at the Campus Health Center can assist you.

Traveling with Cash: 

Because federal law requires individuals entering the country with $10,000 or more in cash to go through a process of declaration, students should not bring this amount or more in cash. If you wish to bring your tuition payment with you, it may be brought in the form of a demand draft. For other payment option please visit Student Accounts.

Connect with Current Students: 

To connect with other international students at Grand Valley, we recommend you become a fan of the GVSU International Students on facebook. You should also visit OrgSync to find other student organizations you may be interested in joining.

Take a look at our International and Domestic Student run Organization, 'Bringing Together the World' (BTW), to connect with GVSU students and other Internationals. Check them out on Facebook and Instagram.

Slack is a great way to connect with other internationals and get answers to your questions. You can message Kate or Libby directly or even find other students who are looking for roommates in the #housing channel. 

More info can be found here.

Meal Plan: 

By purchasing a meal plan through the university, you are allowed a certain number of meals per week to be used at any on-campus dining locations. Meal plans may be purchased through the Campus Dining website. More information can also be found in the Understanding GVSU Meal Plans document.