Stay Tuned for the Winter 2024 Application
There are two scholarships at GVSU dedicated to International Students. The Merit Scholarship is awarded prior to beginning a degree program and all applicants to the University are automatically considered for the Merit (no separate scholarship application is necessary). The International Student Scholarship is the second scholarship for GVSU iStudents and can be applied for while completing a degree. Award amounts for the International Student Scholarship range from $250.00 to $3000.00. The committee considers each applicant's academic achievements, extracurricular involvement, personal essay, and financial situation in determining the awards. The deadline to apply is Feb 25, 2024 before 11:59pm. Decisions are typically announced in April. Students awarded this scholarship will have the award amount applied during the next academic year (Fall 2024-Winter 2025). Questions should be directed to [email protected]
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Feb 25, 2024 at 11:59pm
Please complete your application ONLINE.
The application will require you to submit the following information:
You must have completed at least one full-time semester by the beginning of January 2024. This means if you are a new student this semester, you are not eligible to apply until the Winter 2025 cycle
You must be an F-1 visa-holder (degree-seeking)
You must plan to attend GVSU in the upcoming Fall 2023 semester
- General Information
- Personal Essay
- Reference Contacts
- Financial Situation
- Electronic Signature and Submission
Tips for completing the application:
- You CAN exit an incomplete application and return to it later but you CANNOT go back through completed pages.
- We recommend you type up your essay in a word document before filling out the application and save frequently.
- Essay prompt: “How has being a GVSU student shaped you as an individual? What have you been able to contribute to the university and community through coursework, involvement in organizations, work, volunteering, etc? How do you see your experience at GVSU impacting your career after graduation?”
- Please keep your essay at or under 300 words/1800 characters in length.
- Make your essay personal and interesting. We weigh the applications mostly on the essay and consider financial need.
There are many opportunities pertaining to private scholarships and grants. You will find the following websites helpful when researching alternative sources of funding:
Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund
LewerMark 'Make You Mark" Scholarship
International Peace Scholarship for Women
International Student Scholar Award
International Student Scholarship Opportunities