There are two scholarships at GVSU dedicated to International Students. The Merit Scholarship is awarded prior to beginning a degree program and all applicants to the University are automatically considered for the Merit (no separate scholarship application is necessary). The International Student Scholarship is the second scholarship for GVSU iStudents and can be applied for while completing a degree. Award amounts for the International Student Scholarship range from $250.00 to $3000.00. The committee considers each applicant's academic achievements, extracurricular involvement, personal essay, and financial situation in determining the awards. The deadline to apply is Sunday, February, 27, 2022 before 11:59pm. Decisions are typically announced in late March. Students awarded this scholarship will have the award amount applied during the next academic year (Fall 2022-Winter 2023). Questions should be directed to Kate Stoetzner at [email protected]
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 27, 2022 - 11:59 p.m.
Please complete your application ONLINE.
The application will require you to submit the following information:
You must have completed at least one full-time semester by the beginning of January 2022. This means if you are a new student this semester, you are not eligible to apply until the Winter 2023 cycle
You must be an F-1 visa-holder (degree-seeking)
You must plan to attend GVSU in the upcoming Fall 2022 semester
- General Information
- Personal Essay
- Reference Contacts
- Financial Situation
- Electronic Signature and Submission
Tips for completing the application:
- You CAN exit an incomplete application and return to it later but you CANNOT go back through completed pages.
- We recommend you type up your essay in a word document before filling out the application and save frequently.
- Essay prompt: “How has being a GVSU student shaped you as an individual? What have you been able to contribute to the university and community through coursework, involvement in organizations, work, volunteering, etc? How do you see your experience at GVSU impacting your career after graduation?”
- Please keep your essay at or under 300 words/1800 characters in length.
- Make your essay personal and interesting. We weigh the applications mostly on the essay and consider financial need.
There are many opportunities pertaining to private scholarships and grants. You will find the following websites helpful when researching alternative sources of funding: