As of May 2010, all websites created for Grand Valley State University academic and administrative units must be hosted on GVSU servers (gvsu.edu) and must use the GVSU content management system (CMS).
Any use of the Internet resources of GVSU for revenue-generating advertising, promotion of businesses not related to GVSU, or personal sales is not allowed. For more information, please read Information Technology's policies and procedures.
All GVSU websites are responsible for adhering to GVSU web standards.
Contact the GVSU web team for assistance in meeting the minimum design standards or to request official GVSU graphics that meet your design needs.
Basic Quality Standards
- Current – Page content and resources must be current. This is particularly important when including lists of events, opportunities, faculty, etc. Publish dates on pages should not exceed six months from the current date.
- Audience-oriented – Every page and section within the website should be composed with key audiences in mind. Wording, images, and other resources should be appropriate for the target audiences.
- Goal Oriented – Content must support documented unit objectives. If it is no longer relevant to these objectives, it should be archived offline or deleted.
- Accurate – Page content and resources (links, pdf's, embedded videos, etc.) must provide correct information. This is closely related to item 2. Contact the web team for quality assurance tools.
- Complete – Pages and resources should be completed before publishing. Partial pages and "under construction" references are not acceptable.
- Aligned – Content must support and reflect our mission, vision, and values.
- Legal – Content must adhere to federal and state laws and regulations. Note that this clearly applies to trademarks and copyrights.
- Policy compliant – Content must comply with university and GVSU policies.
- Brand compliant – Content must comply with GVSU Identity Guidelines as presented throughout this website. Contact Institutional Marketing with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 331-2525.
Web Header Banner
Although the following piece of code may be inserted anywhere into your website's HTML, we suggest placing it at the very bottom right before the end body tag. This way, if our code ever has an error, it will not prevent your website from loading.
<!-- GVSU Web Header Banner - Version 1.2, June 2018 -->
var search = true; // If set to "true", the search field will be displayed
<!--- Optionally, include a DIV with an ID of "gvsu-topbanner" if you need to specify where the GVSU topbanner is located: --->
<!-- <div id="gvsu-topbanner"></div> -->
- Prominent use of GVSU-related Web colors: Laker Blue ("#0065A4"), white ("#FFFFFF"), and black ("#000000").
- White page backgrounds only (bgcolor="#FFFFFF") — no graphic or colored backgrounds are allowed.
- Laker Blue, black, and white as appropriate to design.
Official Website Graphics
- A variety of logos are available on the Grand Valley Logo page.
- Preferred placement — one of the official Web versions of the GVSU logomark should be placed in the lower right corner of the page.
- Logomarks, wordmarks, and graphics provided by the university may not be altered or changed in any way.
- Any use of art, e.g., photos or clipart, not provided by the university must be relevant to the webpage design, representative of the department, and congruent with the image of the university.
- In order to not disrupt a webpage design, an alternate logomark or wordmark may be obtained by contacting Institutional Marketing at email@example.com or (616) 331-2525.
All sites must properly load and function in the two latest versions, not including beta releases, of the following Internet browsers:
- Internet Explorer
Bear in mind that a growing number of visitors to GVSU sites are using mobile devices. Please ensure that your content is accessible to this audience.
Grand Valley strives to be an inclusive environment. As such, it is GVSU’s policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Please consider the following:
- The use of framesets is discouraged.
- The use of alt tags on images is required.
- A text only version or site map of the homepage and its subordinate pages is encouraged.
For more information, please carefully review the following: