Cell and Molecular Biology, M.S.
Professional Science Masters in Biotechnology or Thesis based options.
Cell and molecular biology (CMB) is for students with a passion for the life sciences. It is focused on determining how cells develop and function and the significance of those functions in the living organism. CMB is the basis for such applied fields as biotechnology, pharmacology, and biomedicine. Our program prepares students for employment in life sciences or for doctoral-level or professional (medical, M.D./Ph.D.) programs.
Listen to Podcast
The Professional Science Masters (PSM) in biotechnology offers a series of high-impact life science courses as well as training in biostatistics and bioinformatics. The PSM program also includes training in scientific communication, ethics and professionalism in science as well as such business-related skills as project management and business plans. An internship serves as the culminating experience.
The thesis-based (research emphasis) track focuses on an intensive,
15-18 month research project which results in a publishable thesis.
Students work closely with a research mentor and are expected to
present the results of their research at a professional conference.
Deadline for fall semester is February 1, international; and April 1, domestic. Winter semester deadline is September 1, international; and November 1, domestic. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to GVSU. Visit gvsu.edu/gradapply/.
Why Study CMB at Grand Valley?
- Located within a region quickly developing into an important center for biotechnology research, industry, and education.
- Rewarding internships are available at the Van Andel Research Institute, Michigan State College of Human Medicine, Spectrum Health Research Labs, Walter's Greenhouses, and other area organizations.
- Faculty members are actively engaged in research, much of it carried out with students.
- Laboratories provide students with experience using state-of-the-art equipment.
- The interdisciplinary core program of the PSM provides students with a cross-disciplinary perspective not possible within a single major.
- The PSM program provides students with a practical and applied curriculum closely tied to the scientific workforce needs of business and industry and includes internship experience.
Location & Format
- Face To Face
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Scientific communication
- Ethics and professionalism in science
- DNA/RNA manipulation
- Cell culture and bioprocessing
- Responsible conduct of research
CMB prepares students for careers in:
- Life science research
- Intellectual property law
There are separate admissions committees for the research emphasis and the biotechnology emphasis degree programs. The research emphasis is a thesis-based masters. The biotechnology emphasis is one of the four internship-based professional science masters (PSM) programs at GVSU.
ADMISSION TO THE MASTER OF SCIENCE IN CELL AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all undergraduate coursework is required.
- Satisfactory GRE score.
- Extensive undergraduate life science experience.
- Personal statement of career goals and background experiences, including an explanation of how this program will help achieve educational and professional objectives.
- Written recommendations from at least two individuals who are in positions to attest to the applicant's successful completion of the program.
- Telecommunications interview with program faculty.
ARE YOU A GVSU ALUM?
When you became a Laker, you opened up a lifetime of learning, and now alumni like you can use your Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account for classes that provide greater knowledge and new skills. Your account is waiting for you to use for future classes at GVSU. All you have to do is click on the button below to find out more.Find Out More About Your Laker Lifetime Learning Account (L3)