GVFaces: Nicole Webb

January 24, 2023 (Volume 46, Number 10)
Article by Clemence Daniere

portrait of Nicole Webb

Nicole Webb, collections manager and curator of content for the Art Gallery

Nicole Webb, collections manager and curator of content for the Art Gallery, greatly appreciates the impact that art has on the Laker community and the general public. 

Even as a child, Webb was interested in history, specifically ancient Egypt, which she said has fueled her fascination for art. She graduated from Grand Valley with a bachelor’s degree in art history and anthropology and earned a master's degree in historical administration from Eastern Illinois State University. 

After spending a few years working in Montana, Webb found her way back to GVSU in 2018. She is now in charge of more than 25,000 pieces of artwork in the university's collection. She keeps track of items physically around campus and in storage, making sure that everything is accurately recorded. 

“I love the data aspect of my work," Webb said. "We just took in a new collection from a local couple who are collectors and I love being able to take chaos and make it something organized and functional."

Webb said the gallery's online database, which is available to the public, lists every piece of artwork owned by GVSU and details its parameters, such as location and medium. She added that the database showcases the artwork for anyone who is unable to access it in person or wants to find a certain piece in the collection.

“The content aspect of my job allows me a lot of creativity that you don’t normally find in a data and organization position. Being able to research and write within the different digital platforms lets me showcase my creative side,” Webb said.

Grand Valley fosters a place for Webb to balance her organizational and creative sides while putting her education to good use.

“It's such an honor to be able to come back as a staff member at Grand Valley after having been a student here. I was gone for 10 years and coming back to my home has been great,” Webb said. “It has been such a privilege to be part of the community at the Art Gallery and be able to make what I did as a student my profession — helping students see and learn about the art around them."

Categories

GVFaces

This article was last edited on January 23, 2023 at 12:22 p.m.

Related Articles

GVFaces: Justin Wendt

The executive chef received Pro Chef Level Two certification through the Culinary Institute of America. 

April 9, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 16)
Article by Samantha Drougel

GVFaces: Andrew Plague

The former Student Senate president now works in the west wing of the White House

March 26, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 15)

GVFaces: Isak Davis

As farm manager for the SAP, Davis said there's something for students of all majors to enjoy and explore.

March 12, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 14)