Student referee heading to national basketball tournament

April 5, 2022 (Volume 45, Number 15)
Article by Brian Vernellis

two students in referee shirts and face masks stand on a basketball court behind a sign, NIRSA Championship Series

Senior David Stewart, left, and first-year student Camden Schuessler were part of the student officiating crew for the NIRSA Regional Basketball Tournament in February at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Photo Credit: courtesy photo

Through his time at Grand Valley, senior David Stewart has been a fixture in the intramural sports program. Stewart has officiated games since he was a first-year student, rising through the ranks to his current role as supervisor of intramural officials.

This weekend, he’ll get a rare opportunity on a national stage.

Stewart was selected to join the officiating crew for the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association’s National Basketball Tournament at Wichita State University in Kansas. 

“Getting selected for the national tournament means the absolute world to me,” said Stewart. “I have been working hard at my craft in officiating, and it’s very rewarding to see all of that work pay off.”

Stewart earned his spot at the national tournament after officiating an NIRSA Regional Tournament in February at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. NIRSA staff evaluated and graded student officials with the top three referees selected for the national tournament. 

“David was given this award as an all-tournament official because of his effort, crew communication and excellent mechanics,” said Bryce Muller, intramural sports and community programs coordinator. “These are things that David worked on as an IM Sports official and to see his hard work pay off is really amazing. I’m very proud of him.”

Categories

Featured Across Campus

This article was last edited on March 31, 2022 at 1:55 p.m.

Related Articles

New Facilities Services director oversees campus health, safety

Colin Brander said he enjoys the opportunity to work with and mentor students from the occupational safety and health program.

Featured

April 9, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 16)
Article by Michele Coffill

WGS receives $100,000 grant from Mellon Foundation

The grant will support ongoing activities, including sending students and faculty to the National Women's Studies Association Conference in Detroit.

Article by Michele Coffill

President's corner

The Reach Higher Showcase on Friday will feature 150 projects presented by more than 400 faculty, staff and students.