In Memoriam

April 4, 2023 (Volume 46, Number 15)

headshot of Danny Balfour

Danny Balfour, professor emeritus of public administration, died March 22.

Danny Balfour, retired faculty member

Danny Balfour, professor emeritus of public administration, died March 22, 2023. He was 67 years old.

Balfour was hired as the director of the School of Public, Nonprofit and Health Administration in 1996 and led the department until 2007 when he returned in the capacity of professor. He retired in 2020.

Mark Hoffman, associate dean of the College of Education and Community Innovation, said Balfour championed the participation and support of international students in the Master of Public Administration program. Balfour was largely responsible for 35 students from Poland, and students from 28 other countries, earning GVSU degrees from 2001-2008.

Hoffman received tributes to Balfour from former students, including international student HanGul Lee.

"I met Dr. Balfour during one of my first MPA classes while studying in the U.S.," said Lee, who earned a master of public administration degree in 2020. "I believe that his teaching has taken root in the lives of many of his students, including mine. I appreciate him for his teaching, and the kindness he showed to international students, including myself."  

Rich Jelier, professor of public administration, said Balfour was a great colleague and mentor to many.

"He was a nationally acclaimed scholar, long-term editor of major journals in the field, but his love of students and teaching was at the core of his faculty life," Jelier said. "He will be missed, but his legacy of accomplishment and achievement and positive influence on students will live on."

A celebration of life is planned April 15, 3:30-7 p.m., in the DeVos Center, University Club Room, on the Pew Grand Rapids Campus. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to West Michigan Community Tennis or SowHope.

• View previous In Memoriam posts.
• View archived obituaries here.

Categories

In Memoriam

This article was last edited on March 30, 2023 at 9:52 a.m.

Related Articles

In Memoriam

This space pays tribute to the people who helped shape Grand Valley, such as Roger Ellis and Linda Chown.

April 23, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 17)

In Memoriam

This space pays tribute to the people who helped shape Grand Valley, such as Michelle Duram.

April 9, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 16)

In Memoriam

This space pays tribute to the people who helped shape Grand Valley, such as John Zaugra and Roelof Bijkerk.

March 26, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 15)