President's corner

January 9, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 10)

President Mantella standing in blue jacket in her office, resting arm on chair

President Philomena V. Mantella

Photo Credit: Amanda Pitts

The start of a new year is a natural time to take a moment and consider what hopes or dreams may touch our hearts and bring us joy and happiness in the months ahead. We know that this year, like every year, will have triumphs and challenges we can’t foresee. Throughout our daily lives while we are leading and inspiring our students and our community, let’s pivot to turn these challenges into learnings and opportunities to appreciate what we value. Even though it’s a busy week as we all come back together, let’s all make sure we pause and reflect on our hopes and dreams for 2024.

My hope for 2024 is for a peaceful and humane ending to the conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine. May there be healing and restoration for all those suffering and touched by these wars.

My dream is for GVSU to be more broadly seen and appreciated for our excellence and for that to fuel our energy and drive for an even broader impact.

Although challenges will come, I will awaken each day and appreciate the gifts of health, family and my GVSU community.

Join me in sharing your hopes and dreams with those around you, may they serve as beacons to inspire and guide you to a year filled with gratitude and fulfillment.

Sincerely,
Philly

Philomena V. Mantella, President
Grand Valley State University

Categories

Across Campus

This article was last edited on January 9, 2024 at 9:5 a.m.

Related Articles

Gaines earns AP Achievement Award

The AP Achievement Award and six other awards were presented at the annual luncheon.

Featured

April 23, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 17)

Faculty responses to job satisfaction survey benefit Student Emergency Fund

Each response to the COACHE survey added to the fund; the total donated was more than $15,500.

Article by Michele Coffill

President's corner

Two recent events, Student Scholars Showcase and Reach Higher Showcase, show how Lakers are solving problems and building the future through remarkable research and ideation.