Internship FAQs

How do I find an internship site?
Start your internship search by reviewing the list of approved internship sites.


How should I contact an internship site?

Email and call the internship site. In your email include a cover letter, resume and references. Follow-up with a phone call to the internship site stating "I recently emailed my cover letter, resume, and references are there any other application procedures you would like me to follow". 


What do I say/write when contacting an internship site?

In your communication with the site explain your reason for choosing the site (i.e. wanting to learn more about a field you plan to enter upon graduation, or you are exploring career options and this site piques your interest, etc.).

Finally, you should know your schedule and availability and explain how you can assist and benefit their organization when interning.


How many internship credits should I register for?

The student chooses to register for 6, 9 or 12 credits. Registering for six credits requires 300 hours, nine credits requires 450 hours, and 12 credits requires 600 hours of work at the site. The internship must be able to provide the hours you are seeking to fulfill.

All Grand Valley students must complete 120 credit hours to graduate and fulfill all major credit hour requirements. Make sure to review your MyPath account on Banner and consult your faculty academic advisor before choosing and registering for your internship.


Can I complete my internship with a physical therapist, occupational therapist, certified athletic trainer, physician assistant, or chiropractor?

Unfortunately, not at this time.

Students pursuing a degree in exercise science must complete an internship that aligns with the knowledge, skills and abilities of the exercise science profession. Students must work with professionals that have these qualifications and are providing experiential learning in exercise science.

Page last modified July 7, 2018