EXS pursues CoAES Accreditation
GVSU's Exercise Science program is working toward recognition by the Committee on Accreditation for the Exercise Sciences (CoAES) as an Accredited Program.
This accrediting body describes its role as:
The primary role of the CoAES is to establish standards and guidelines for academic programs that facilitate the preparation of students seeking employment in the health, fitness, and exercise industry. The secondary role of the CoAES is to establish and implement a process of self-study, review, and recommendation for all programs seeking CAAHEP accreditation.
Programmatic accreditation through CAAHEP is specifically intended for Exercise Science or related departments (Physical Education, Kinesiology, etc.) with a professional preparation tract designed for students seeking employment opportunities in the health, fitness, and exercise industry.
Currently, the CoAES reviews programs in the Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, and Personal Fitness Training professions.
The Exercise Science program has a strong and diverse group of GVSU and local community members who are invested in our program serving on our Advisory Committee.
- Dr. Matt Feeback, EXS program Director and Associate Professor
- Lisa Sawyer (Corewell Health), Clinical / Cardiac Rehab
- David Running (UofM Health West) Clinical / Cardiac Rehab
- Gina Otterbein- Ivy Rehab Graduate health Profession Preparation
- Chris Burdis- I’Move Holland Graduate health Profession Preparation
- Holly Severance, Internship Dir. Shape Corp., Corporate-Community Wellness
- Lindsey DesArmo (Interim Director of Talent management GVSU) Corporate-Community Wellness
- Amy Campbell (GVSU Rec) Fitness-Personal Training
- Lynn Draigh Internship Director (Tranzform Fitness) Fitness-Personal Training
- Derek Reitman (I'move) Sports Performance/ Strength & Conditioning
- Dan Brown Sports Performance/ Strength & Conditioning
- Claire Zaliwski Student Representation